Fusible Link

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by bigbear40, Oct 12, 2009.

1. bigbear40

bigbear40 Veteran Member

May 2, 2009
    Windsor, Ontario
    What exactly is a fuisble link? Is it just like a thinner gauge wire?

Should I attache one to the positive battery wire running from the thermostatic switch to the remote starter solenoid?

Also, should I attache a fusible link to the wire running the the battery terminal of the starter?

Thanks.

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    A fusible link is a smaller gauge (numerically larger) wire which acts as an in-line fuse to protect the rest of your wiring harness.

The battery cable needs to go directly to the starter.
    It is a very high draw device which needs a low resistance, heavy gauge wire (cable) to feed it directly from the battery.
    A small gauge wire between the starter and battery will probably turn to smoke the first time you crank it over. :eek:

Your other circuit... "Thermostatic switch to remote starter solenoid", confuses me.

What thermostatic switch?

3. 79camaro2001

79camaro2001 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 4, 2003
    Monroeville, PA
    a thermostatic switch is typically a ground source.

When it get's hot the metal inside will touch and create a circuit for ground.

Commonly used on electric fan's relays.

But there are types that allows you to pass a circuit from one wire to another.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  4. bigbear40

bigbear40 Veteran Member

May 2, 2009
    Windsor, Ontario
    I meant to say thermostatic fan switch to make the dual fans come on.

I didnt mean the battery cable going from the battery to the battery terminal on the starter, I mean the other wire thats attached the battery terminal of the starter, I think its about 14 gauges wire.

As well, for a fusible link, can I just splice like a piece of 18 gauge wire in on a 14 gauge wire?

Thanks.

5. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My 2 cents. I replace fusable links with fuses.
    I had a old ford truck that gave me nothing but trouble. After 3-4 fuseable links, I put a fuse holder in and it never had an issue again.
    I like to be able to see & check the circuit better.

6. EricsZ28

EricsZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Here and there...
    I wouldn't use normal wire for this.

I've had good luck with the "fusible link" wire that you can get down at the parts store. It's called "fusible link" - and it is designed to work as such.

7. JONESYFXR

JONESYFXR Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2009
    BUFFALO, NY
    I agree with Mrdragster. Fusible links are cheap and can go bad. As for fuses, they are a visible gauge(no pun itended) for a power feed. Fuses are much more reliable.

Here's one......I just installed my Global West body mounts, went to start my 79 and......NOTHIN!!! I dropped the starter and the wire feding the key was burned all the way to the fusible link. The link was intact but the wire was toast!! I must have nine lives, or at least my Camaro does!!!! I put in fuse on a 10ga wire. No issues now.