Green Valley Race City

Discussion in 'The Great State of Texas!' started by Bob R, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Bob R

Bob R Moderator

Jan 6, 2000
    Flower Mound, Texas
    Once upon a time many years ago there was a great place to race just North to North East of Fort Worth. I went there many many times over the years but due to growth and progress it was eventually shut down and torn apart for residential use.

Historical Note
    During the 1970s and early 1980s, the track was owned by the noted drag-racer Bill Hielscher. It held NHRA and AHRA championships, and numerous SCCA and Trans-Am Series road-races. Evel Knievel performed there in 1974.

Here is a link to some of the photos from those years ago....

Now my question is, do any of you (probably as old if not older and me) remember this place? Do any of you still have a map or a brochure with specific directions? I know the area now is called North Richland Hills. Just wonder if anyone has any more information on this great place? I still have only 1 Sticker from this place which was placed upon my Cool Can for my Z28 when I raced it many years ago.

If anyone has any information, please let me know.

Bob R
  2. 78LTCAM

78LTCAM Veteran Member Gold Member

Nov 13, 2002
    Fort Worth,Texas USA
    Yes!! I remember it very well. I used to go out and race on thet very track. Me and my friends would go race our street cars during the week. It was a very cool place to go. Every once in a while someone will mention Green Valley and stir some memories. But not often. Its always a person that has lived in the area a very long time. I really don't know what info i could give you though. Like you said it was torn down and homes were built. Awesome pics you posted. Heres my favorite one. It reminds me of the feeling i used to get when i pulled up to the lights!!
  3. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yup, I remember it too... I-20 went the same way... plowed under in about '83. The track was in such poor shape it was getting unsafe...
  4. 78LTCAM

Nov 13, 2002
    Fort Worth,Texas USA
    It seems to me the biggest issue with Green Valley was the surrounding neighbors complaining about the noise.:rolleyes:
  5. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Same thing is happening here. Old Dominion is prolly going to shut-down. They built a bunch of 500k+ homes all around it. Too big a tax base for the county to ignore.... Old Dominion is being forced out...
    History of the track...
    Some recent pics from this season...
  6. dcs13

dcs13 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2003
    McKinney,Texas USA
    Went there many moons back. Do you remember when Evil Knievel came and did a jump there ? I think he jumped 11 mack trucks that day...
  7. jakeshoe

jakeshoe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 8, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    Not of much help, but I remember going there with my Dad when I was little. 4-5-6 yrs old probably.
    I have old pics there of Shirley Muldowney and car, etc.
    Wow I need to dig them out I guess and plug in the scanner.
  8. Old School

Old School Veteran Member

Jul 8, 2001
    Arlington, TX
    Those are awesome pictures!
  9. 78LTCAM

Nov 13, 2002
    Fort Worth,Texas USA
    Your new skool is better that ur old skool
  10. scrapmetal

scrapmetal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member