HELP?! I need to replace a cam position sensor on a 91 Buick Park Avenue 3.8L

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 1FstChevy, Oct 16, 2009.

1. 1FstChevy

1FstChevy Veteran Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Buckeye State
    As the title states, I have a friend that described the symptoms of a failing Camshaft Position Sensor on their 91 Buick Park Avenue, so I offered to replace it for them tomorrow at noon!!! :confused:

I've been searching high and low for a guide online but haven't found one, I've read it's a fairly straight forward and easy to complete task so I'm hoping too much disasembly isn't required. I own 1000+ Craftsman sockets but I'm hoping it only takes 10 or less!!!

Fortunately for them the sensor itself is only $30+ from Napa and I'm only charging them cost since they're exchange students who just bought the Buick to use for a year, so it would be nice to avoid buying an instruction manual too...

Any help is appreciated as I am tight on time!!! Thanks! :bowtie:

2. dioismyhero

dioismyhero Veteran Member Gold Member

Nov 26, 2008
    siloam springs arkansas
  3. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Southern Maryland
    autozone has the haynes manuals online for free. Let me see if I can link you to the specific images for the cam sensor on that car. If not i have the hard copy manual for the h body gm cars in the garage

4. 79camaro2001

79camaro2001 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 4, 2003
    Monroeville, PA
    It's not hard to change it.

I found a website dedicated to these 3.8L motors with the buicks and they had a complete step by step for changing it out.

Darn if I remember the site but I got it printed out.

5. 1980_Z28

1980_Z28 New Member

Feb 5, 2002
    Harlan, IA
    It is right below the water pump

REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION

Disconnect battery ground cable.
    Remove water pump pulley attaching bolts, then the serpentine belt and water pump pulley.
    Disconnect sensor wiring connector and remove sensor retaining bolt.
    Twist and pull sensor to remove.
    Reverse procedure to install and prior to installing new sensor, lubricate sensor O-ring

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  6. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Southern Maryland
    I dug up my haynes manual and took a picture of it for you, it shows a pic of the cam sensor's location as well.

Here ya go

[​IMG]

7. Fawn

Fawn Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 9, 2000
    Arlington, WA
    This is a Ryan 79 question for sure. Wait till this evening when he gets home from work.

8. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    What are the symptoms... Did it throw codes showing a cam sensor problem?

I hope it's the cam sensor and not the crank sensor.... The crank sensor is more of a chore.
    (I had a crank sensor go bad on a 91 Olds 3.8 engine and I paid someone to do that one.)

9. 68400BIRD

68400BIRD Veteran Member

Feb 7, 2006
    GO PACK GO
    It should be just plug and play. These are hard to diagnose unless it has a hard code. For the most part it will either miss, hard start, or not start at all. It could also be a crank sensor. I changed out both of mine last year in less than 15 minutes a piece with a 10mm socket.

10. pdq67

pdq67 BANNED

Jul 26, 2001
    Columbia, MO, USA
    Are you guys talking about the old-fashioned timing spots the old point dizzy engines have that are now electronically picked up by the ECU??

pdq67