Hood Springs

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by 71CAMAROSS396, Jun 1, 2016.

1. 71CAMAROSS396

71CAMAROSS396 Member

Jul 14, 1999
    China, Mi
    Replacing my fiberglass L88 hood to a steel cowl hood, anyone have a easy and safe way to replace the hood springs.

2. 81BirdMan

81BirdMan Veteran Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Wedge the (wood) halves of some disassembled wooden clothespins in between the coils while the spring is extended (hood open but lowered as much as possible). Then raise the hood and the spring should be easy to unhook. Any thin scraps of wood (like pieces of paint sticks) will work, too.

As for installing the new ones, hook one end to something sturdy (beam, tree, truck hitch, etc) and use a come-along (or maybe a ratchet strap) to stretch the spring. Place the wooden spacers in between the coils until the spring is long enough to easily hook onto the hinge. Don't catch your fingers between the coils!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  3. 71CAMAROSS396

71CAMAROSS396 Member

Jul 14, 1999
    China, Mi
    Thanks I'll give that a try.

4. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Athens, GA
    I've always used a fan belt. Hook around the hood spring and use the belt as a 'handle'. Unless you have decent upper body strength, you may have to use your body weight and lean away to pull the spring. I saw it done this way one time about 25 years ago....and I've used this method ever since.