how do i figure out what size/kind slicks i need?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by airlord9, Nov 17, 2003.

1. airlord9

airlord9 Veteran Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Phoenix, Az, USA
    so i got back from the Good Guys car show and picked up two 15 x 8 trans am wheels (the kind with the black mesh spokes). i bought them to put a set of slicks on and i really dont know what size i need.

i was thinking to get some DOT street legal kinds. what brand would be good? a low price would be nice too.

------------------
    Too low for a fat hoe!!

2. Kelly 74 Z

Kelly 74 Z Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Henderson, KY
    Go with a MT ET Drag, the ET Street are greasy. Look at MT's webpage for the size you want, somepeople like to go one inch wider than the wheel on the slick width.

3. J78

J78 New Member

Nov 3, 2003
    LOUISVILLE, KY
    Is this a question of what you need or what will fit?
    I have heard that the ET streets are not as good as ET DRAGS.
    I guess that is why I run Hoosier quick time pro's, they are a dot tire.
    If you choose a 27 x 10.5 they will fit on a stock car, and I have been a 1.63 60 ft. on these.

------------------
    78 camaro
    89 corvette
    93 lightning (parts chaser)

4. airlord9

airlord9 Veteran Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Phoenix, Az, USA
    both. i dont want to get something that will fit and have it be too much for my combo. how tall do i need to go? my street tires are 275/40/17 (25.66" tall) i looked through Summit and the closest to that is 26".

ok so get 26 X 10.5 X 15 right? i dont think i want full out slicks because of the inner tubes required and price. i will need to drive to the strip on these tires too.

thx for the help

[This message has been edited by airlord9 (edited November 18, 2003).]

5. J78

J78 New Member

Nov 3, 2003
    LOUISVILLE, KY
    Hey sorry for the slow response, your proably right about using a 26x10.5.
    Just be sure to look at the section width and make it the same or at least close to you 275/40/17s'.
    Oh, also if you run a quick time or et street I would recommend wiping the inside of the tire down with liquid dawn dish soap.
    This will help the tire seal up, I know that this sounds crazy but it does work.
    One last thing, these tires will not last as long as the radials that you have now.

------------------
    78 camaro
    89 corvette
    93 lightning (parts chaser)