how many cold cranking amps required

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by 70sbudget, Mar 20, 2011.

1. 70sbudget

70sbudget Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2008
    san diego
    for a 454 with a MILD cam. cam is basicly one step up from stock.

ill recheck all of my connections and plug wires, engine is getting gas and turning over but seems to be turning over slow.

reason i ask about cold cranking amps, this battery is charged and came out of my 2002 silverado 2500 hd 6.0L and was in the truck when i purchased it used. i was told that the battery that was in the truck (now in the camaro) did not have the required cca for the truck. with a bigger motor in the car, wondering if the battery doesnt have the juice required?
  2. Skaal-tel 79

Skaal-tel 79 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jun 20, 2004
    CFB Petawawa, Ontario
    What's the CCA rating on the truck battery?

I'd think pretty much any full size battery would do. Unless your BB has significantly thicker oil or higher compression.

Sounds to me like you just need to charge the battery.

Should have 12.6 to 12.7 volts just sitting there.
  3. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The more the better, I NEVER go cheap on battery.
    800-1000 if I need it or not.

Good luck.

4. frankz

frankz Veteran Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Being in Ca. c.c.a. is kind of a moot statistic.What you need to consider is the pulse cranking amps(5 sec. rating) if it cranks slow.
  5. hhott71

hhott71 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Joplin Mo. 64801
    At one time, when High compressions of 10:1 or higher was the norm, 1 CCA per CI was the formula.
    350 CCA was plenty for a 350.
    Battery technology has advanced and car electrical demands have kept pace.

Most batteries have 500 CCA or more which is more than p[lenty to spin the starter in San Diego.

You need to 200% make sure the battery is grounded metal to metal to the engine block, not an accessory like the ALT bracket but the block itself, with a pigtail that goes to the body, body and frame, engine and body/frame etc.
  6. wardracing

wardracing Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    your silverado battery is more then likely a 78 series which means it has 800 CCA if you bought the good one. or it could be a 75 series battery, 78 series is a little wider then the 75. the 75 series battery has 750 CCA if you get a nice one.

This should be enough cranking amps for that motor and starter if not get your self a nice 75 or 78 series optima and a nice gear reduced starter, and i will promise you will never have an issue again!
  7. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Northern VA
    Have you checked the voltage while cranking?
    Are you sure your grounds are all correct, especially the path from engine block back to battery?
    Do you know that the starter is a good unit?
  8. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Southern Maryland
    I am running a 500 cca battery with huge 2 speed electric fan, AC, and EFI in one of my vehicles...yeah it's definitely too small on paper but it has not stranded me yet. Check yer grounds for sure, if you don't have a ground strap from the engine to the body you super duper need one.
  9. 70sbudget

70sbudget Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2008
    san diego
    starter is brand new and working fine other than slowly cranking.

neg of battery was going to the alternator bracket as i had always been informed was correct. will move to connect directly to the block.

will install neg to body also. i know the body was previously grounded as the gauges were grounded to the body and working fine

engine ground strap to firewall is solidyly connected.

battery terminals will be reconnected and made sure to be solid.

volts on older battery were 12.0 prior to cranking and 11.9 when i gave up. ill pull the new battery and install in the camaro

will prime oil again,
    will line up timing mark at 0degrees on the timing mark on the compression stroke/tdc. rotor at #1 plug wire, and fire away.

am i missing anything here?
  10. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Northern VA
    12.0 sitting idle is close to dead. Fully charged and holding should be 12.6-12.7.

I use an Optima Yellow Top Group 51R (Honda Civic size) battery to start my car. It's rated 500CCA, I have my doubts since I've killed it to <2.0V several times now.:) But, it rolls the engine (mild 350) no problem.