How to install motor mounts??

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Eric_04, May 7, 2010.

1. Eric_04

Eric_04 Veteran Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Oakfield, WI
    Hey all, I have a 76 camaro and am going to be putting in new motor mounts before I put my motor back in, but my question is how the heck do you get to the nuts for the motor mount bolts? The passenger side kinda has access holes in the subframe but the driver side has nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Danish Guy

Danish Guy Veteran Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Denmark
    Use some fishing line to put in the bolts from below and put the nuts on top of the motor mounts just did it myself it is a 20 min job.

3. Eric_04

Eric_04 Veteran Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Oakfield, WI
    Thats a good idea but how did you get to them to take the nuts off in the first place? Did you have to take the front tires off and the wedge your arm between the control arms to get to them?

4. OldCamaroNut

OldCamaroNut Veteran Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Rancocas Woods, NJ
    I did it without taking the tires off. I used a distributor wrench to hold the nuts and removed the bolts from the top. I then used fishing line as mentioned and pulled the bolts up from the bottom, got on them with the distributor wrench with a little duct tape to keep the bolts from falling through and put the nuts on top.

5. Steve's 77

Steve's 77 Veteran Member

May 9, 2006
    Milton, Vermont
    Hi Eric: I'm doing this job right now. I had one heck of a time getting the old mounts off and thought when the time came to put the new ones on I would try the fishing line idea. No way man. That is just too frustrating. I dropped the lower control arms (just one side so far) which allows you the room to get your fingers in there and put the nuts on the bolts. I was afraid even if I was able to get the bolts in there that it would be next to impossible to torque them down enough so I was satisfied with the job. It is one B..tch of a job I'm sorry to say, but mine are 33 years old and I have a vibration I'm trying to chase. Oh....and now I can replace my coil springs which I cut a full coil off of a couple years ago. MISTAKE...cut too much off. Car is too low. Have fun and don't cuss too bad. Don't throw anything. Later

6. theflash

theflash Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Podunk, CT
    Has it been a week already since this was asked?

[​IMG]

7. OldCamaroNut

Apr 27, 2005
    Rancocas Woods, NJ
    What's frustrating about using fishing line? The fact that it coils up and doesn't go all the way through when you're trying to feed it down? I tied a small nut to the line so that the weight of the nut pulled the line through to the bottom. Problem solved. And a whole lot easier than removing a control arm, IMHO. And the job went very fast and easy. Again, I used a distributor wrench to hold the bolt in place and tightened the nut down as tight as I wanted. I am not at all worried about the mounts being secured properly.

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  8. Eric_04

Eric_04 Veteran Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Oakfield, WI
    I tried the search 7 times over the course of an hour or so before I posted this question and it didn't work once.

Im gonna try the fishing line first because I dont feel like taking my control arms apart, but if I were putting springs in or new control arm bushings in it would be a different story. Hopefully it goes somewhat easily, tonights project when I get home.

9. OldCamaroNut

Apr 27, 2005
    Rancocas Woods, NJ
  10. 1980camaroguy

1980camaroguy Veteran Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Carleton, Mich.
    Distributor wrench and alot of patience. A second set of hands to help remove and tighten helps too. Mine took half a day by myself removing from parts car but then 20 minutes to reinstall with extra set of hands on my car. Good luck.