How To Install Solid Core Support Bushings Without Cutting the Core Support:

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by 455 Formula, Oct 21, 2010.

1. 455 Formula

455 Formula Veteran Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Fresno, California

When I replaced the body bushings on my 1975 Formula, I purchased a set of solid aluminum bushings from PTFB. The workmanship and quality were great and the (4) body bushings installed without modification. However, the bushings for the core support are actually just another (2) body bushings, which requires you to enlarge the hole in the core support to make them fit:

[​IMG]

This was something I did not want to do, so I came up with a cheap, simple solution that requires no modification to the core support of the PTFB aluminum subframe bushing.

On my car, the oblong hole for the core support bushings are only 1" wide by a little over 1-1/8" long.

[​IMG]

The centering portion of the factory core support bushing is a little over 3/4", which allows you to shift the support around a little for sheet metal adjustment.

[​IMG]

The centering portion on the PTFB bushings is 1-1/4" which would require me to enlarge the hole in my core support significantly if I wanted to retain the same level of adjustablity. Additionally, the stock bushing has a threaded insert that will allow adjustment without the use of a second wrench, which I wanted to retain.

Instead, I picked up (1) 1-1/2" x 6" Plastic Tailpiece, (4) 3/4" Sch40 PVC couplers, (4) 3/4" x 1/2" Sch 40 reducers and a 6" section of 1/2" Sch 80 PVC Tubing. Total cost at my local hardware store was about $6.00 out the door.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Simply cutting the pieces to the same length as the PTFB bushings allowed me to replicate the stock bushings 3/4" OD centering piece and eliminate any cutting of the core support.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]This modification also allows you full adjustability of the front clip after it has been installed.

The PVC will not rust or corrode and does a perfect job of centering the PTFB aluminum washers. best of all, it's cheap and quick.

[​IMG]

I hope you find this information helpful...Robert

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  2. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    My 72's all sit on top of the frame,and sandwich the core itself(camaro).Bolts and washers only go thru the frame on my year.Wonder why they always change stuff,lol?

3. 455 Formula

455 Formula Veteran Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Fresno, California

On my 1975, the bushing sandwiches the core support and then mounts to the bottom of the frame.

I made a pair of 1/4" washers (from 2" round stock) that allow me to tighten up the bolts without deflecting the steel washer in the center...Robert

[​IMG]

4. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2008
    SF
    That's a great idea
    Thanks for sharing