How to repair front pump seal and bushing TH350

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by transam617, Jun 19, 2007.

1. transam617

transam617 New Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Hartford, CT
    Hey all,

I am a frequent poster over on www.thirdgen.org but have been reading posts on here for quite some time.

I have a turbo 350 that is leaking from the front pump seal and thought I would ask on here what all I should do to fix the leak.

I have gathered so far that replacing the seal itself is not a big deal once I have the transmission out but I am wondering if there is something else I should attempt to replace to make sure I dont have a leak when Im done.

Specifically I have read that a large clearance between the converter snout and pump front bushing can cause a leak through the front seal because the drain hole is small. Should I also look to replace the bushing while the trans is out?

I am not sure how much extra work is involved in changing this bushing. Do I have to remove the pump?

Thanks for any help.
    James.

2. jakeshoe

jakeshoe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 8, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    Yes the pump would have to be removed, seperated, bushing driven out, and a new one installed.

They are almost always worn. Check the sticky at the top of this forum for an idea of what you have to do.

3. transam617

transam617 New Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Hartford, CT
    what parts and gaskets would I need to do this job? Do I need the pump gaskets and the bolt oring gaskets and thats it besides the bushing and seal?

Thanks.

4. jakeshoe

Dec 8, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    Yes,
    Pan gasket and filter. Pump o-ring and gasket, bolt seals, input seal, bushing, and fluid.

5. transam617

transam617 New Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Hartford, CT
    Sweet - thanks for the concise help.

6. transam617

transam617 New Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Hartford, CT
    Ok so I have everything apart (pump is out)

The bushing didnt really seem all that bad and the seal has good engagement all the way around.

I am beginning to think the leak was going around the seal where it fits into the pump. Is there any special kind of sealant I should put on the new one before I tap it in?

Thanks

7. jakeshoe

Dec 8, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    Red Loctite or a very thin coat of RTV or aviation sealant.

8. transam617

transam617 New Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Hartford, CT
    So when I got everything apart the parts seemed like they werent bad at all but replacing them seems to have done the trick and now theres no more leak!