Is por15 sold in stores?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by badazz81z28, Aug 17, 2003.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I know i have seen metal ready . do they sell the Actual Por 15 rust preventive paint?
    anyone know where?
  2. earlysecond

earlysecond Veteran Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Altoona, PA
    I've never seen it. I hear that permatex now makes rust treatment paint OR you can get Zero Rust from J.C. Whitney for $54/gal shipped! I am a strong advocate of the ZR safer, easier to clean and although it is not quite as durable as POR-15 where abraision is concerned. . .It certainily holds up to chemicals like brake fluid alot better! Just my .02.
  3. Scatter

Scatter Veteran Member

Jun 26, 2003
    Millbrook, Al
    Certain Napa Stores DO carry it, but not all of them.
  4. GREGS396

GREGS396 Veteran Member

Oct 16, 1999
    allentown pa
    I purchased a quart here in PA at a local garage for $32. POR 15 has a website, and you may be able to find out who sells it in your area.
  5. Nick76

Nick76 Veteran Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Hey there earlysecond, what can you tell me about the ZR products? easy to apply? look good?
  6. Throttle

Throttle Veteran Member Gold Member

You can find it in any Local Auto Paint Store im pretty sure ...

1967 Camaro with 468cid 732RWHP
    1972 Camaro with a 402cid
    Other Vehicles-
    1970 Chevelle SS454 Ls6
    1962 Chevrolet Truck with a lil 283 ;)
    2000 GMC Sierra SLE-Couldnt put this one under ALL THROTTLE,NO BOTTLE......It is bottle feed.
  7. WildBillyT

WildBillyT Veteran Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Raritan NJ
    Yep, you can get it in stores. 2 around me sell it.
  8. earlysecond

earlysecond Veteran Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Altoona, PA
    I have used both POR-15 and Zero Rust. Check a search as I usually write books on the subject and call them posts! I like the ZR better for many reasons: Price, ease of use and cleanup, finish and durability vs. chemicals. I give POR 15 the edge in physical durability (abrasion) ZR is a laquer based product designed to paint over rust, it does NOT need to be top coated. Because it is NOT a urethane product it does not contain isocynates (a pretty big plus) BUT it may be a little less durable than POR. I can tell you than I got DOT 3 (non silicone) brake fluid on both paint products and the ZR stayed and the POR peeled off. I should buy a distribitorship for the product as I have sold more of it than some of the reps. There is no reason as it is now available at J.C. Whitney for $54/Gallon. Make sure that for either paint over rust product that you choose you follow all of the proper prep steps and precautions. You will get excellent results with either but I still give the edge to ZR.
  9. camaro_27

camaro_27 Veteran Member

Nov 13, 2003
    Arlington, washington
    my local auto paint store carries it and if you want something they dont have they will order it for you