is there a third seat option for back seats?

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by loyal guardian, Jun 30, 2016.

1. loyal guardian

loyal guardian Veteran Member

Aug 28, 2013
    helena mt
    i was wondering if there is way to fit an infant car seat on the hump? the two seats being for our 4 year old, one going for 11 month old, and yea we have one on the way (it was an opps... baby girl). i was wondering if when the car is fixed up and if i wanted to cruise with the family i could fit everyone else? i know id have to modify it for an extra seatbelt but is it possible?

2. loyal guardian

loyal guardian Veteran Member

Aug 28, 2013
    helena mt
  3. cbraswell

cbraswell Veteran Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Dudley, GA
    Is this in one of these cars? If so, how do you have the other two car seats strapped in the backseats, just have the lap belt ran through the back like normal? I have a 3 yr old and have been wondering if it was safe or legal to strap them in the back since we don't have a shoulder straps in these cars?

4. Matt T

Matt T Veteran Member

Nov 12, 2003
    Pawtucket, RI, USA
    Modern infant seats generally (always?) have levels to indicate correct mounting position. You could probably just add another factory lap belt using the two inner (hump) mounting points and be OK--the seat provides all the protective padding. The metal locking clip provided with the seat makes sure the belt should not slip. You might need to add padding under the seat (rolled towel or ???) to get the proper position. How it will fit with 2 other child seats is another question.

Cbraswell--shoulder belt doesn't matter until children get to the size where they use it instead of the integral shoulder harnesses built into the booster-style seats. At this point, there are child seats designed to solve this issue by providing racing style safety belts on a larger seat. They aren't cheap, but they aren't outrageous considering what's at stake. My brother-in-law had them for his 70 Charger when his kids were smaller.

In all cases, all or most police departments are happy to safety inspect child seat mounting. Call them and ask.

Defensive driving is still your best safety measure in any car.

5. bfendick

bfendick Veteran Member

Dec 3, 2006
    Vernon, BC
    Definitely would need it inspected and okayed by the insurer as well, in case of liability.

6. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

you want three car seats in the back? yeah, i don't see that happening.

7. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    The newer cars have a strap mount built in to hook the long strap from the back of the seat or between the backrest and seat bottom to the floor behind the seat. They keep the seat from lunging forward. But in the infant's case the seat has to be mounted backward. I think you could try and see if all 3 would even fit. You should use some kind of padding for sure. Your seat will get beat up if you don't. One thing I was told to do by a cop was to actually get up on the seat and put one knee and all your weight on the seat and then strap it in. It takes out the slack. When you remove for cleaning you find all kinds of crud. Puke pee and other stuff that just happens with little ones.