Is this compressor good for SandBlasting

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by ATM, Jan 16, 2010.

1. ATM

ATM Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Morris, Illinois
    I need a compressor for sandblasting a bit and running a DA and other air tools a bit better than my current 30 gallon craftsman.

[​IMG]

CAMPBELL HAUSFELD Professional Cast Iron Electric Vertical Tank Mounted Air Compressor mdl. VT619500AJ, s/n L070894-24625, 125 psi Max., 60 Gallon Tank, 6 hp, 240V, 1 ph

model # vt619500aj

11.5 @ 40
    9.1 @ 90
    6hp

Would this be a good one to use?

2. tantara

tantara New Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Minnesota
    I would be looking for at least 18 CFM. It will work with less but is slow.

Brad

3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    It's going to better than what you have and I have about the same thing. No, it won't run a DA with any efficiency. You'll continually have to let it charge back up. It will run a small sandblasters but not one of the larger ones that you load sand into a tank.

4. ATM

Oct 10, 2009
    Morris, Illinois
    [​IMG]

This is my sandblaster. I am thinking I am going to wait it out and get a bigger one. My brother says he can get me a pull behind construction one to borrow, or I can rent one for a weekend. The big PITA is that I need to use the DA, and as it is now, it is totally worthless.

5. ATM

Oct 10, 2009
    Morris, Illinois
    I am going to just go ahead and get it. I can hook them together somehow if I need to. I cannot afford to buy a $1200 air compressor.

6. ATM

Oct 10, 2009
    Morris, Illinois
    Just to make things interesting, my Brother has a buddy looking to get rid of his, it is a 6.5 hp 60 gallon craftsman professional. Like new. 14.2psi at 40, 9.9psi at 90. Best part $150, plus it comes with a sandblaster, did not see it though. Pics tomorrow.

7. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Dam3, just buy it... Unless something is broke. It's not the boss for what you want to do but that's a steal.

8. ATM

Oct 10, 2009
    Morris, Illinois
    I am getting it tomorrow. Very cool.

I will have to see how the thing will work on my sandblaster. Worse case I can hook my current one up to it in addition to the new one.

9. enjoideviantly

enjoideviantly Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I remember someone mentioning 10 hp to run a da constantly as a guideline.

10. ATM

Oct 10, 2009
    Morris, Illinois
    Yeah, that is just it, I could never afford one of those. This is for my garage. I hope this one does it. 6.5 hp, 60 gallon tank. What does everyone else have in their garage?