LEAK in trunk .... HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by mjoc, Jan 5, 2017.

1. mjoc

mjoc Veteran Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    So I live in Southern California. ANd of course we don't get much rain. I usually have a car cover over the car. (right now it is being replaced got because it got shredded) Now here is the problem. I am working on installing a stereo system in the trunk and building a custom box amp rack etc..

It rained a little yesterday and when I opened the trunk today and there is water sitting in it. I cant tell exactly where its coming from but I fell it coming from around the hinge pockets or up in that area. Now the problem is. I'm 6'8" and cant crawl into the trunk and see exactly where the water is coming from...
    IS THERE ANYWAY TO TRACK WHERE THE WATER IS GETTING IN THE TRUNK....

Michael

2. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Canada
    Quick way would be to smear Vaseline on the truck rubber and see the pattern on the trunk to eliminate that seal location

John Wright likes this.
  3. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    My leak was the gaskets around the tail lights (1970 Camaro)

4. mjoc

mjoc Veteran Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Thanks but its neither of those locations. it is coming up from the hinge area just need to find out how to trace it since I cant crawl in trunk.... and have no kids in neighborhood to put in and look for me as I run water over the area...
    Michael

5. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

Feb 1, 2007
    South Park Pa
    Mine was rotted under the filler panel below the rear glass, had to replace that hole panel[​IMG]

6. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    Leave a video camera and a flashlight running in the truck in different locations.

7. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Canada
    X2 /\

8. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    ^ +. Set the camera up, close the trunk and use a garden hose starting at the lowes point working uphill until you find the leak.

9. Revin

Revin Veteran Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Round Rock , TEXAS
    Bucher paper
    The wet area will be the place to start.
    maybe remove rear seat back for a look?

10. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 5, 2007
    NorthCentral PA
    Video is a good idea. Or use a mirror under the suspect area while pouring the water. I use mirrors for anything I can't get my eyes in front of. My wife's makeup mirrors work great. I bet your issue is what Bodymanbill said. The rear window channel rots out and water runs down underneath the hinge area and drips into trunk.