LED light on 1970 to 81 dash

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by split70cam, Apr 14, 2012.

1. split70cam

split70cam New Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Hialeah, FL
    Anyone install LED bulbs on 70 to 81 dash? I bought LED light and put them in with the correct poalrity offcoures but they do not work. The one light at the end of the circuit bord lights up and one is dim the rest are dead. They all work when connected individually to the power source. Is there some kind of electrical explaination to this? I know LED lights are tricky. Anty suggestions please. Thanks

2. vfw_1168

vfw_1168 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 3, 2010
    wheelersburg,ohio
    You try the strip lights

3. split70cam

split70cam New Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Hialeah, FL
    no strip light. I just got the replacement bulbs, they look like the original but instead of filiment they have five little LEDs

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Clean the contacts on the bulb holders with a tiny file.
    The ones inside the holder and the contacts which touch the printed circuit panel.

I test the LEDs in the cluster with a 12V trickle charger before I install the cluster in the dash. It makes this job easier.

Good luck!

5. split70cam

split70cam New Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Hialeah, FL
    I did what you sayed and filed the plugs. and you are right. I tested the metal on the little plastic plugs they are not conducting electricity. I'm going to replace them. thank you.

6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Some of the LED bulbs don't have the wire contacts positioned very well either.

I found I had to "tweak" them a bit for them to line up properly with the contacts inside the holders.

7. Z28 Mark

Z28 Mark Veteran Member

Feb 14, 2001
    San Jose, CA.
    Try an eraser for a “typewriter” (white- slightly aggressive eraser) as it might be a little easier to clean up- This is how we were taught to clean PC board fingers (gold contacts) in Tech School.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012