Lower dipstick tube 3951600

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by 8pack, Jan 2, 2017.

1. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I just installed a Lokar dipstick. It says to be sure you have the lower dipstick tube installed GM Part#3951600.

How can I tell if this part is installed? I know it slides into the block and has a flange that keeps it from dropping into the block. The new dipstick housing was a good firm tight fit when I put it in and I assume it would be a loose fit without it.....I can't see by just looking at it. Also, If I did need to install the tube would I need to remove the header?

Thanks!

2. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Lower tube is to make sure that the dip stick does not float up in to a moving part. with out pulling the oil pan I would pull the Lokar and shine a light down the dipstick hole to see if there is a tube in there.

3. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I don't think I will be able to see with the headers in the way. Maybe I can bend a wire and use it as a feeler.....

It's a 383 so I would hope the engine builder put it in, I just am not sure.

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    I was going to suggest using a wire with a bend on the end.
    (Not a hooked end... You don't want it to get stuck!)

5. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I know! If its copper it should be able to pull straight. Like some 15 amp romex ground wire.....don't feel like taking it off again though...I hate when I have to install things multiple times!