ls head confusion

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by pete389l, Aug 28, 2011.

1. pete389l

pete389l New Member

Jul 20, 2011
    peace river alberta canada
    what head is better the cnc ported l92 #88958698 or the cnc ls3 #88958758 or scoggins #sd8801-1 going on a 6 liter whipple supercharger ,6 speed tremec ,1981 z28
  2. usmcz28

usmcz28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

PRC heads are great from what I hear, but honestly what they charge for porting vs. improvement isn't worth it. The stock heads flow great and unless you are going all out with a forged build I wouldn't waste the money.
  3. pete389l

pete389l New Member

Jul 20, 2011
    peace river alberta canada
    I will have forged pistons and H beam rods stock stroke do this heads flow close or are the cnc l92s the best of the three
  4. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 9, 2001
    LS1tech is probably a better resource to ask that question to be honest.

You're going to have many more LS enthusiasts at your disposal.
  5. usmcz28

Ahem, some of us do know LS engines here. But yes there is a wealth of knowledge over there about this.

The debate was wether or not it was worth the 20HP for $1000 port job. To me the gains just do not seem worth it as the only clear up a little but do not offer much in return. If I were to spend the money I'd rather put it into the transmission of suspension at that point. BUT it's not my money so I can only suggest.
  6. 70 gsconvt

70 gsconvt Veteran Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Wadsworth, OH
    You can pick up cnc'd heads for not much more than unported ones. I just picked up a cnc'd pair with gold springs (.650 lift), titanium retainers for $1,100, shipped. You'll pay around $700 just for a pair of factory heads.
  7. jb451

jb451 Veteran Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Mesquite, Texas
    Im kinda with usmc on this one, but you have to ask your self, is this going to be strictly a track car where ever bit of power is needed, or just a play toy that youre going to drive on the street. IMO, i dont think id pay 1100 dollars for 20 hp, unless i was putting a buttload of money into JUST the engine. The power to money ratio just isnt there. Aces is right though, hit up LS1Tech, i learned alot of stuff over there, and who knows, you might find a set of used heads for cheaper over there! Pics and timeslips when its finished! Happy building!
  8. usmcz28

I'm all about $$$$$$ to results scenerio with my wallet. If the money I spend doesn't make it handle better or go faster for a specific amount I see that as a loss. I know several of the vendors on LS1tech have CNC heads available as well as you sending yours in to get the work done. I'm just not convinced the money to HP ratio is there. I say turbo that pig and be done with it.

While I do inderstand some upgrades are just done to do them, kind of like flames form the exhaust. That one has always made me giddy like a school girl with no panties.
  9. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I have probably read every post on ls1tech concerning L92 heads and the consensus is that porting these heads is not a good bang for the buck. They money is better spent on the valve train, intake system, headers, etc. They jury is still out on whether AFR or Trickflow heads are worth their high cost.
  10. usmcz28

Thats why mine are stock excpet for the springs so I can run my new cam :eek:

I bought mine used for $650 shipped and they were off of and LS3 with less than 10k on them.