Ls1 or sbc 350

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Hulk_smash, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Hulk_smash

Hulk_smash New Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Sanford FL
    I have just got a 1979 Camaro don't know if it's a z28 or not but it came with a 350 and a t 10 tranny I was thinking about doing the ls1 swap to get a little more power but I need to know what I will need to convert over so the motor will work I know the harness and and computer needs to come with the Motor anything will help...

2. JWZ28

JWZ28 Veteran Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Alabama
    Unless you don't mind dropping 6-10K on the LS swap, build a nice 350 or stroke the 350 to 383. The engine and harness itself for the LS aren't necessarily that costly if you find a nice junk yard pull but all the odds and ends and fittings, adjustments for this and that all add up for the LS swap.

3. Hulk_smash

Hulk_smash New Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Sanford FL
    So the stroker kit will be a lot more cheaper and what is that the cam and heads to change on the 350? The only reason I was going to do the ls swap is for the power but if the stroker kit and get me decent horsepower out of a 350 I may just do that

4. JWZ28

JWZ28 Veteran Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Alabama
    A nice 383 stroker will easily get you in the 400-450 horsepower range. You have to have your machine shop set up your 350 block for the stroker kit, which is crankshaft, rods, and pistons. Stroker kits are usually $700-$1000 Everything else is the same such as heads, cam, intake, etc.

Whether you have your machine shop build you a 383 or just order a crate engine, you'll spend roughly 4K and it will drop right in. Have the shop put in a roller cam or order a 383 with a roller cam and you'll have a very nice engine with plenty of extra power for thousands less than an LS swap.

5. Hulk_smash

Hulk_smash New Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Sanford FL
    Ok that sounds more efficient thanks for that another thing is my tranny is a t 10 but while its in neutral my motor has the shake until I put it into gear then it stops idk what that can be

6. JWZ28

JWZ28 Veteran Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Alabama
    That could be something as simple as old motor mounts or complicated as something internally with the engine. I don't think it would be transmission related since it does it in neutral but I could be wrong.

7. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    Get the motor that's in there running good first, May have as much power that you need. May wont deeper gears, just a taller cam.Does it smoke? Use water? use oil? knock? Have fun. Take your time. Make a list.

8. Edem_Alive

Edem_Alive Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 18, 2015
    Montana
    I'm looking at an LQ4

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  9. Hulk_smash

Hulk_smash New Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Sanford FL
    No it doesn't smoke the carb was spitting like if the distributor wasn't set properly and the car needs a tune up it has oil in it I want to drop the oil pan to make sure no metal is in there and then give it a tune up and go from there I guess

10. Twisted72

Twisted72 Veteran Member

Nov 8, 2015
    New Albany, Indiana
    Here is a thought: MPG on ls vs 383 (unless your going to fi it), ls make some outstanding HP and TQ while getting good mpg, 383 yes good hp however if its carb then your mpg is under 10 mpg, I know I had a 600hp flywheel and only got 7 mpg, I am going LS in my build and have been looking on line bout low buck builds and there out there just a thought