Might be in over my head.

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by moms1978, Aug 24, 2009.

1. moms1978

moms1978 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Man Cave
    My garage is leaning.
    [​IMG]

Damn wind storm!

[​IMG]

The garage is leaning toward the side the carport is on. If you can see from the pics of the lump in the roof only half of it is leaning. Half of the garage has a footer other half dosen't.

[​IMG]

The half that has a footer was built in 43, the other half was later added on. Don't know when, its built around the concrete pad, the half thats leaning that is.

[​IMG]

Im pretty sure the carport is what is making it lean. Heres how its attached.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not sure if I'm worried about pushing it back upright. Im single/ 24 and having a ghetto garage is the best I can do right now. I want to strengthen it and rebuild the carport.

My plan is to dig post holes and concrete in some 4x6 and attach them to every lean to. Use the same bolt holes thats already in them.
    [​IMG]
    To the right of bucket you can see one post hole. Id concrete the 4x6 3ft deep then bolt them to every lean to board coming off the roof. Then knock down the wall in between the carport and garage. Then when I rebuild the carport part Id attach it to the new 4x6's and not the lean to boards coming off the roof. Id only knock out the wall of the garage where their is no concrete footer. Other part seems to be just fine and dandy.

[​IMG]
    Lean to board from inside.

[​IMG]
    I want to knock this wall out so I can walk from on side to the other. This is side thats leaning. Also be nice to have more room to get around car when working on it. Plan on enclosing the carport and just make some swinging doors to get a car or whatever in it.

Any know if this will work? Hope this is understandable.

2. moms1978

moms1978 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Man Cave
    [​IMG]
    This is where the part with footer and other part are separated. Oil bottle is on the side that has concrete footer.

3. Kjdavis93

Kjdavis93 Veteran Member

:eek: Ummm I think I would get my car out of there! I wish I knew what to say but I am left speechless.

4. moms1978

moms1978 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Man Cave
  5. z28rod

z28rod Veteran Member

Apr 30, 2009
    hopewell junction,ny
    ive been an architect for 35 yrs. that garage and car port will be there for another 20 yrs, dont worry about it, i bet its been like that for years..........do not knock out the wall or it will fall, just cut a doorway into the garage from carport.

6. moms1978

moms1978 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Man Cave
    When I say lean to board I'm talking about the white wood board in this pic
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic the lean to board from inside the garage. (Roof)/ceiling
    [​IMG]

My plan
    #1 to dig 3ft post holes right outside the garage wall. These holes will be almost parallel to lean to boards coming off side of roof.

#2Cementing 4x4 wood poles in the holes and bolting them to the lean to boards.
    I will cut a hole in carport roof for pole to stick out. This way I will be able to leave carport connected and put in one pole at a time. Eventually I would have every lean to board bolted to a 4x4.

#3 Take out skeleton frame from wall that is leaning and have roof on 4x4 poles on one side.

#4 Use same 4x4 poles to support new carport roof.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated and thank you for reading.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  7. moms1978

moms1978 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Man Cave
    Here is pic of 1st pole I connected to garage roof. 4x4 10ft long, concreted a little over 2.5ft deep,bolted to roof lean board with a 3/8 gr8 bolt. Along with some other random pics of my main domain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. moms1978

moms1978 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Man Cave
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JUST GOT THIS AWESOME DUAL QUAD 460 FORD PU. WANT TO FIX IT UP FOR MY NEPHEW.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  9. SS2001

SS2001 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Lithia Springs, GA
    I agree. don't have anything in there you don't want buried when it falls over.
    Your 4x4 plan may or may not work. It is a band-aid solution at best. I would take the lean-to carport off to reduce the pull/stress on the rest of the garage first. Then look at shoring up the weak wall and put some corner bracing in there.

10. moms1978

moms1978 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Man Cave
    I haven't done any corner bracing yet but I did elbow brace the inside frames to the roof, then cross brace the two wall frames together. I have scracthed the plan of taking skeleton wall out. Still like to take the siding off of it then corner brace it from the carport side.

Connecting new frame of the lean to carport to the 4x4's via 2x6's theirfore hopefully their will be no carport weight on the garage and the 4x4's will have two jobs, completly supporting carport roof on that side and keeping roof of garage from moving any further.