MSD street fire hei and roller cam (gear)

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by JasonZE, Jan 21, 2012.

1. JasonZE

JasonZE Veteran Member

Sep 11, 2009
    can i run the hei with a roller cam i hear about melanised gears etc but dont see any mention on msd instructions or webite so do they have the good gear already?
    Just getting parts sent from us for rebuild and want to get everything i need so i dont double up on shipping.
    On a side note I think the new gm 383 blocks are good buying for under $900 factory roller 4 bolt 1 piece clearanced for 3.75 stroke I have 1 coming from SD parts with roller lifters,spider and dog bones etc No more flat tappet for me thank goodness:rolleyes:
  2. wild84

wild84 Veteran Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Las Vegas, nv
    Depend's if it needs a bronze gear. I have run both a standard gear, and a bronze gear on my msd hei dizzy. If your cam requires a bronze gear, pop the roll pin out, put the new gear on, and put the roll pin back in.
  3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    The cam manufacturer can tell you if you need to run any type of special distributor gear or fuel pump rod. My Howards roller cam uses all stock stuff.
  4. ProStreet383

ProStreet383 Veteran Member

May 23, 2007
    Is the cam austempered steel or billet? Does the came have a press on gear or machined? If the cam is austemepered and does not have a pressed on iron gear then you need a melonized gear for the dizzy. If it is billet and does not have a pressed on iron gear then you need either a bronze gear (which I would not recommend on a street car because they wear out FAST) or the composite gear sold by comp cams (much better gear than bronze).