My First Project Camaro

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 1970 RS 350, May 24, 2010.

1. 1970 RS 350

1970 RS 350 New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    hello everyone. im new to nasty Z28 and id like to introduce myself along with my project. My dad and i bought a 1970 RS Camaro last year and are restoring it. its come a long way from ugly orange paint on the outside and super ugly pewter colored paint just about everywhere else. Now its in primer, has a 350 with a new cam, intake, and carb. and its almost ready for paint. unfortunately, while the car was running for the 2nd time since the engine was put back in, we found that it had a leaking head gasket. talk about a kick in the pants. so now we have to tear down the whole right side of the engine and replace the gasket. but we have done a boatload of other things to it. and i think its going to come out nicely. the last pic is as of last week.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  2. GOLF72

GOLF72 Veteran Member

Jan 11, 2010
    CORONA, CA
    Your project looks awesome.... you have a good foundation. Good luck to you and post more pics.

3. fun79Z28

fun79Z28 Veteran Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Richmond, MI
    Hey Welcome to the site and that a sweet ride you got going there! Lets see some more pics!

4. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    Welcome to the NastyZ28 board.

Great project especially when you mentioned working with your dad.

You mentioned that the right cylinder head gasket blew. Do you know what caused it?

5. Whitey

Whitey Member

Aug 26, 2009
    North Vernon IN
    Welcome!! Where in southern IN are you? I'm just south of Columbus.

6. global warmer

global warmer Veteran Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Saratoga Springs NY
    looks like a good father son project

7. A73

A73 Veteran Member

May 8, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Great to see the most rewarding experience for a son and that's working with your Dad on a project. Looks good!

8. conrracing

conrracing Veteran Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Cumberland, MD
    Very nice looking project! Looks like you have done some really good work, and awesome to be working with your dad.

9. 1970 RS 350

1970 RS 350 New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    well its not blown, just leaking. while it was running, we noticed a little bit of water running down the side and dad said the gasket's bad. he thinks its because the head wasnt torqued on. he grabbed a wrench and was able to tighten it right their, which showed that whoever did the engine last, didnt torque it.

Whitey: im in Mt. Vernon
    and thanks for the comments everyone.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  10. LtRsZ

LtRsZ Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Tacoma, WA
    Looks good. While your at it replace both head gkts. They come in a set and the intake is already off. It will give you peace of mind, and you may not want to run risk of new one being different thickness then the other. If one wasn't torqued then the other was not. Hope the rod and main bolts were torqued. You'll know the first time you hit 5k rpm.