My fried chicken stinks

Discussion in 'Bon Appetite - NastyZ Style' started by spicewood1, Feb 19, 2012.

1. spicewood1

spicewood1 BANNED

Jul 16, 2001
    NC
    My mother passed away years ago and took her secret to fried chicken with her. When I try to make it, the cripsy coating all falls off, its burned on the outside and raw inside, and the stovetop is a disaster. All I can find online is recipies with all kinds of seasonings and crap. All I want to know is how to make the batter part right. My mother never used any kinds of seasonings and I want to keep it that way.

Anybody know the secret to perfect crispy outside? Dry flouring, wet batter dip, both? Cooking temp and length? Thanks very much,
    Paul

2. z2880

z2880 Veteran Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Tewksbury, ma, usa
    i use the recipe in betty crocker cook book i think its 1 cup flour, 1 cup, milk, 1/4 cup veggie oil, 1 tsp salt, 1 tdp baking powder i think, either way it cpumes out great, i usally use shortinig and fry in a deep pan, flip the chicken halfway through 10-15 min total i use chicken breast cut tender size, goodo luck if you try if interested pm me and i will doubble check the recipe tommorow for you!

3. 1972_Z-28

1972_Z-28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2005
    Sugar Land, Texas
    This Wes's better half. He asked me to share my receipe. I believe this is what your looking for.

mix 2 eggs with a cup or so of milk (I quit measuring after I got it down)
    2 cups of flour (add more as needed)
    dip meat in egg/milk mix, transfer to flour.

Your stove should be heated between med and med high heat. I usually cook mine approx 5 min per side for breast. Smaller pieces require less cooking time.

Tip: be sure your oil covers the entire chicken for even cooking.

Good luck!

4. Lerchinator

Lerchinator Veteran Member

Oct 2, 2009
    On Earth
    toss it in flour or for a little crisper use corn starch another level of crisp higher you can do the flour/corn starch and then dip it in a beatten egg and coat it in panko crumbs.

the times and temps are something you can get a feel for over time you can also use a meat therometer and finish it in the oven at around 350

dont turn the heat on the stove all the way up med to med-high get the oil hot b4 you start

Got a fire extinguisher handy then there is a trick to test the temp of oil with a match that has not been used when it goes off its ready pull it out with tongs and go to town. You shouldnt need the fire extinguisher but if you have a fire start with grease or oil your going to need one water makes the fire spread out into an inferno.

5. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

This is real close to how I make fried chicken. twenty minutes in oil at 310 degrees or there abouts:

[youtube]uxEhH6MPH28[/youtube]

6. spicewood1

spicewood1 BANNED

Jul 16, 2001
    NC
    Sounds yummy. Anybody use peanut oil instead of veggie oil?

7. jdove

jdove Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 19, 2002
    Chattanooga,TN
    Mom uses butter flavored crisco....

Girlfriend don't....

8. 1BAD78

1BAD78 Veteran Member Gold Member

Apr 12, 2007
    Broken Arrow Ok
    I use to be a chef at a country club i'll tell you the secret. I use flour (you can use breadcrumbs to) season it up with your fovorite seasoning. Get a single egg beat it in a bowl and add a can of Milnot along with more of your favorite seasoning. Ok this is how you get the breading to stick. Put your meat in the flour FIRST then your wash and back into the flour. Get your oil temp about 350+ if its too hot it will burn. If your frying in a skillet turn meat quite a bit to make sure both sides are cooked evenly.

If that doesnt work you can slap me in the face:crazy:

9. Hoot

Hoot Veteran Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Greenville MS
    trick to tell temp of oil

drip a drop of batter in oil
    if it sinks to bottom its too cold
    if it stays on top its too hot
    if it sinks a little and stays in the middle its just right

10. skatinjay27

skatinjay27 Veteran Member