my Herb Adams mod...(pic)

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by John Wright, Sep 28, 2006.

1. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Add a little rattle can black and it's ready to go back on the car:)

[​IMG]

2. buckeye79Z

buckeye79Z Veteran Member

Oct 22, 2004
    Ohio
    Nice.

I read the articles that were posted here a while back, and thought of doing the mod when I re-did the rear this summer.

But I just couldn't get that little guy off my shoulder whispering that SOMEHOW I'd screw it up!

Hope it all works well for you.

3. John Wright

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Thanks Buckeye,
    I have the rear out right now and I'm waiting for the C5 brake parts to all arrive before I re-install the rear back in the car. I figured while the leaf springs are swinging in the air...why not jump on it and do it. It isn't hard, just need a good square, I squared off the sides and made my marks to relocate the holes and cut-outs for the spring eye, burned out the cut-outs with the plasma torch here at work and drilled the holes in the drill press.

Go for it Buckeye, you can do it! (only takes a few minutes) to take out the front perches and then a few more minutes for layout and drilling/cutting. ;)

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomtown, MN
    Are you going to weld in the old holes?

Nice to have a plasma torch for this... very neat cutting job!
    You picked the right time to do this.

I thought about it when I replaced my leaf springs last year but I didn't want to mess with the height of the rear until I saw how it sat with new springs and no air shocks.
    Now... I can't convince myself pulling it all apart again would be worth it unless I cut my front springs too.

Maybe some day.... Great pics, Thanks!

5. John Wright

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Thought about plugging the old holes, but that is another adjustment if I ever needed to free it up a little bit, but right now the thing is way too free for me to drive it hard, I like it a little more balanced. I don't want to shove the front wheels either, so we'll see how it does in the top hole for right now.
    I still might re-inforce the outside of the brackets by plating it in the area of the holes, just not sure, I keep picking them up and looking at them and debating it.

6. 67lemanster

67lemanster Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 20, 2003
    I AM ILK
    wish i woulda known about that when i did my springs. grrrrrrr.

looks great john btw how them brackets coming. seems you are working on other things instead. makes me mad. ;)

7. John Wright

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    :whine: Those brackets are creeping across the nation....according to UPS tracking, they left Oregon this AM @ 3.....:screwup:

8. PhilZ

PhilZ Veteran Member

Dec 6, 1999
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Good job John, I am planning to do the same mod this winter. Would it be possible to post a before and after picts so we could see how it affected the stance of the car?
    With warm personal regards

Phil

9. John Wright

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Well, Phil.....I don't have any real good pics of the stance before, because I did a lot of other stuff too, like replaced the rear springs with less arch, and lowered the front also, plus installed a few #'s heavier transmission, so I'll only have after pics but....they may be a while coming, because my factory 15" five spoke rims won't fit over the C5 Corvette calipers and I'll need to save up some coin to purchase 17" rims and tires before I can set it back down on all fours again.

I'm thinking it isn't going to effect the ride height but a very small amount. If I was moving the pin location on the front and rear of the spring, I suppose it would effect the ride height by the full 3/4" that I moved it.

10. John Wright

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    [​IMG]

I decided it couldn't hurt anything to plate the sides of these brackets, so here is what I came up with....1/8"FB x 2" x 3" cut to fit.
    They are just bolted right now to hold them in place and keep the holes lined up so I can weld them. Busy as a beaver today here at work, so i don't know if I'll get to weld them up and take more pics or not... stay tuned....