My Starter is grinding (loud)when cranking!!!--any ideas??

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by 75LTCAMARO350, Oct 9, 2007.

1. 75LTCAMARO350

75LTCAMARO350 Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, TX
    The car is a '75 LT V-8. auto.
    It will start, and drive---
    After like 1 second cranking it will start loud grinding noise....
    someone told me to shimmer it?? Don't know what that is.

Any help would be great!! THX in advance!!

2. angel71rs

angel71rs Veteran Member

Jul 28, 2002
    El Paso, TX
    Did it just start happening, or after a new starter install? You usually shim on install to get proper tooth engagement. Is it a grinding noise or a loud whining noise? If whining, it might be the bendix. It kicks the starter gear back. When they go bad, your starter will sometimes crank for an instant, then the bendix kicks out and the starter just free revs, so you get the whining noise.

3. 75LTCAMARO350

75LTCAMARO350 Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, TX
    I just got the car. I don't think a new starter is in it. But I'll check.

The noise is NOT very high pitched. But it sure is a nasty grinding sounding. As soon as I hear it I let off the starter key and crank again. Just repeat until it starts.

I will get under it and see if anything loose.

4. 68400BIRD

68400BIRD Veteran Member

Feb 7, 2006
    GO PACK GO
    Sounds like it just needs to be shimmed or it could be lose.

5. gordonquixote

gordonquixote Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Tallahassee, FL
    Sometimes over time the starter shifts some and moves away from the flywheel. Then the bendix and the flywheel don't mesh and the gears grind.

Loosen op the starter so you can easily wiggle it, pull the solenoid end of the starter away from the block (usually won't move much), and then tighten it back down. Try this before you take undertake the hassle of shims, shim it as plan B.

I had the same problem and fixed mine this way Sunday (I tried to start mine in gear and it shifted the starter).

6. 68400BIRD

68400BIRD Veteran Member

Feb 7, 2006
    GO PACK GO
    Just as a helpful tip, you do not have to take the starter out to shim it. Look at the shims and only take out the one bolt that you need to. The other side just slides in.

7. 75LTCAMARO350

75LTCAMARO350 Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, TX
    THANKS for the great info!! I like to start with the easy stuff first.

Should I try maybe jumping the car---to see if there is a weak battery in it causing this grinding????

The battery looks kind of new---but........
    I 'll check for good connections also

8. 68400BIRD

68400BIRD Veteran Member

Feb 7, 2006
    GO PACK GO
    A bad battery is not going to cause grinding but it could cause a slow rotation of the motor or starter that will sound real bad. If the starter is turning the motor over real fast I would not worry about the battery. Or you could have the battery load tested. If the starter is crashing into the flywheel and then turning the motor over it will give you a grinding noise. I would get a pack of shims out of the help section and install one of the thinner ones and keep going up until the noise goes away. This is a common problem so don't feel like you car is the only one doing this.

9. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Use a 1/8" drill bit to check the starter/flywheel clearance. :D

Put a 1/8" drill bit between the flywheel teeth and the starter shaft. If it's too tight, add shims till it clears. If it's too loose, remove shims.