need help with computer harness

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by chester 81, Apr 14, 2012.

1. chester 81

chester 81 New Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Chester, NY
    I read a couple of threads on disconnecting the computer harness on a 1981. it sounds like it's pretty straight forward but i want to make sure. Hopefully this picture will help. The 2 connectors that are close to each other plugged into the computer. The connector by itself plugged into a harness that goes up into the dash over the steering column it seems. What is this for and do i need any of those wires in that harness.

Attached Files:

2. mgoad1971

mgoad1971 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 29, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  3. Leonards78LT

Leonards78LT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 21, 2001
    Central Oklahoma

The connector by itself is the wiring for the torque converter lock up ( part of the brake switch), park neutral switch, check engine light, diagnostic connector link etc.
    You can look at he diagram below to trace the wiring that is used by the ecu.

[​IMG]

4. chester 81

chester 81 New Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Chester, NY
    So i have to strip that harness and seperate the wires for the ecu and reconnect the other plug and related wires? I hope that wasn't a dumb question. It's just that wiring can be alittle intimidating for someone who has never done anything like this before. Thanks

5. Leonards78LT

Jan 21, 2001
    Central Oklahoma
    If you have the subharness that plugs into to it, you are good to go. You should not have to seperate anything.

6. chester 81

chester 81 New Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Chester, NY
    I appreciate your help but something just doesn't make sense to me. I'm going to take better pictures of the connectors and the other ends under the dash and look at this harness better. Maybe with the info you gave me it will make more sense once i'm looking at it. Thanks again and i will put up better pictures tomorrow.

7. Leonards78LT

Jan 21, 2001
    Central Oklahoma
    Are you wanting to just pull the whole thing out and go retrofit to a non computer controlled carb?

8. chester 81

chester 81 New Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Chester, NY
    Yes, I'm swapping the engine and getting rid of all the emissions. So i pulled that entire harness out to clean up under the hood. The thing I don't understand is why would they bundle a bunch of other wires with the computer harness and tape it all up. I didn't get a chance to look at it today