Need some Auto meter info fast

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Nitroexpress, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Nitroexpress

Nitroexpress Veteran Member

Jun 1, 2005
    "Rochester" NY
    Looking to order my Phantom guages I need to know if the stock speedo cable will screw into the back of an Auto Meter Phantom Mechanical Speedo they don't say...Any one know if the cable will screw in to the guage???? I will need to know before I buy becuase if not then I'll need to go Electric & that will add to the cost big time,then I'll need a sender & the guage is like $100+ more = :eek: !

2. nicpiccamaro73

nicpiccamaro73 Veteran Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Appleton, WI USA
    speedo

most aftermarket gauges have threaded cables and factory ones are push on.
    a cheap way to get a cable is to go to a parts store and have them look up an early 70's chev truck they have the right trans end and the end that should screw on to the gauge and they also come in a variety of lengths. so all you have to do is measure and order correct one I got one for around $15

3. 79Cam->

79Cam-> Veteran Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Minnesota,Richfield
    even cheaper way to do it is to just go to the parts store and get the screw on style end apply a little heat to the end of your old cable pull the old end off and slide the new one on you'll need to crimp it but that's what i did and it worked fine

4. docnascar

docnascar Veteran Member

Feb 25, 2002
    Maryland
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  5. POS71RS

POS71RS Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 21, 2002
    Central Coast, CA
    P.S., I have a Phantom mech speedo 3 3/8s if that's the size you're looking for. Never used, I had to change it for an electronic version.

6. Nitroexpress

Jun 1, 2005
    "Rochester" NY
    What do you want for it got any pics???

7. POS71RS

POS71RS Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 21, 2002
    Central Coast, CA
    how bout $75 shipped?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I bought it when I had a 700r4, but I bought a T56 before it was ever hooked up. By then, I had already trashed the box so I couldn't return it.

8. Nitroexpress

Jun 1, 2005
    "Rochester" NY
    Yah that is the same one I have planned to purchase.It's the model # 5893 speedo.That same unit from my distributor is priced @ $84.95 New in the box with a warantee. For $10.00 more I would rather keep the guy I did my package deal with happy & get the warantee from auto meter.He is giving me a hell of a deal for a total package of 7 gauges. You would have to be willing to let it go for less $$ for me to consider it.You may want to try e-bay, it will definatly sell on there!

Thanks any way

9. boisabigdog

boisabigdog Veteran Member

Jul 6, 2009
    san diego
    Original '73 gauge bezel

Nitro...

Saw an old post of yours stating you may want to sell your original '73 bezel. I need one if you have one.

Thanks,
    -Mike
    760-390-6206
    mbcre28@gmail.com

10. Nitroexpress

Jun 1, 2005
    "Rochester" NY
    Yah but how big of a hurry are you in?? I don't plan on re-doing my dash untill this winter. I have a compleat new dash pad & lower assembly,aluminum panel & auto meter guages going in. I was going to sell my black A/C dash with U-14 guages & LT wood grain panel all as a compleat unit once removed.I may consider parting it all out also though. At this point all I can say is your first in line if I split it up.