New fender prep

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by FlaJunkie, Oct 6, 2010.

1. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Indialantic, Florida
    My new EDP coated fenders, hood, etc. need painting.

Does anyone else think first cleaning them thoroughly with soap & water is a sound idea?

What grade/type scotch pad is need to rough up the surface for painting?

Can base go over the roughed up EDP parts without a primer?

Thanks to the Camaro brain trust... ;)
  2. BTTB71SS

BTTB71SS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 10, 2006
    Harris, MN
    Personally i always stripped the edp coating off and then primered the parts...

Then you can put you color on after that.

Never did trust edp since all after markets parts come from asia ;)
  3. olstyle

olstyle Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Crestwood IL.
    I agree. I sanded all the edp coating off all my new parts with 80 grit on my da then put on epoxy primer.
  4. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

Jul 9, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Strip to bare. That coating can be an issue with top coats as solvents can soak into it. If it was an original OEM panel from a real factory not an issue typically. Import oversea Tiawan stuff a whole other story.

Strip it to bare, epoxy and 2k primer surface. The block straight with a 400 as final prior to paint.
  5. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Indialantic, Florida
    How can you tell if it is a lousy EDP panel? The hood would be very hard to strip the EDP coating off of.
  6. Paint Fumes

Paint Fumes Veteran Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I sand the outside of new aftermarket parts to bare metal with 80 on a DA. You can go over the 80 marks with 180 if you don't feel comfortable with them but they will fill with primer, no problem. 80 scratches on bare metal aren't very deep. Sand the insides of the panels with 320, red scratch pad where you can't get with sandpaper. Clean with wax and grease remover, epoxy prime, then a few coats of urethane primer, block sand with 400 and you're ready to go.
  7. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Guyton, GA
    I sand all mine with 180
  8. earlysecond

earlysecond Veteran Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Altoona, PA
    Sorry to agree but I do.

I am in possession of quarter skins. I believe that they were in dry storage for a year or so after purchase so they were well cared for.

The surface of the "EDP" which is nothing like the factory EDP on these panels has millions of tiny bubbles.

The most concerning thing is that if you look at the outside of these panels carefully in the right light, you can see that somebody wrote something on the bare metal with a paint marker, or other marking device and then the primer was applied right over it. The number are legible as the primer is raised.

Get out your DA. Strip with 80 until nearly all of the black is gone. Switch to 120 or 180 and epoxy. the underside and inside of the hood is the only place I would take my chances and I would still scuff with scotchbrite, the best I could, clean the best I could and hope for the best. The only other option is to media blast and that may be overkill. A good epoxy primer should then be the first step.

Good Luck
  9. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 4, 2003
    You can also use the 3M sponge disk things on a die grinder or electric drill. Got mine from wal-mart for around $6 each, you will need a couple of them. Worked great for me on my cowl hood especially in the curved corners and vallys and will not gouge into the metal Then get a flexible sanding block or piece of heater hose wrapped with sand paper and go over it with 120 0r 150 grit and reclean it with wax and grease remover and epoxy prime.
  10. wookie

wookie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Daytona Florida
    180 them and epoxy away!