New (Rebuild Qjet) with pics

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by cmonson, Oct 5, 2008.

1. cmonson

cmonson Veteran Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2006
    Calgary, Alberta
    I thought I would share some pics of my rebuilt QJet.

I bought a rebuild from National Carbs. The carb was custom made with proper jets, rods and hangers for my engine. The also modded the idle circuit for my low vacumn condition. They also sent me 3 other secondary rods so I can play with 1 leaner, and 2 richer secondary rods. For the Qjet fans, I would highly encourage others to buy here. I believe I paid just over $200 for everything.

I used to have a JET stage 2, and I will say this qjet is just as good, if not better. Flooring it off from idle is deffinately better than my JET. I am sure if I knew how to mod the JET I would get the same effect, but this carb was out of the box and go. Throttle response is really quick, and has a very smooth transition to the vacumn secondaries. Absolutely no bog, and I had it up to 6500 RPM, and it would still go more.

Here are some pics below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Philly area
    I'm surprised they used the truck/boat style rear vacuum break. Nothing particularly wrong with that except..... where's the linkage to pop the choke open a little on a cold start? That could be an issue for you on cold start-up (flooding out the engine shortly after start-up).

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  3. 78LT383

78LT383 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Princeville, IL USA
    Do they have a web site? If so, what's the address?

4. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 18, 2003
    BC, Canada
    Are ya ready for this?

www.nationalcarburetors.com

5. onovakind67

onovakind67 Veteran Member

Jul 8, 2001
    Fairfield, CA
  6. 78LT383

78LT383 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Princeville, IL USA
    Are they able to determine what carb an engine should need based on the car's & engine's specs? I'm pulling together a new combination and this would be a very nice-to-have carb.

7. Elpres

Elpres Veteran Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Denmark
    where did u get the electronic choke housing thing, Im having the same carb on my 78 camaro, and i would love to switch to electronic choke.

8. cmonson

Apr 7, 2006
    Calgary, Alberta
    I am NO carb expert, but the linkage to hold the choke open on a cold start I believe is located behind the electric choke. I can tell you I started my car on Sat morning and it was about 60 degree. I was playing around with setting the elec choke position. I held my peddle down to the floor, and when I started the engine, the engine idled at 1300 RPMs. It slowly came down and settled at 900 RPM which is where this engine idles.

The guy that builds the QJETs is was EXTREMELY knowlegable. He said he had been rebuilding qjets for 20 years. I told him my cam specs, current vacumn at idle, and compression as well as some other details. He built my particular carb made for my engine.

They also gave me some extra secondary rods to play with the tuning. I will have to get them out and lay post down as to which ones are riches, and which are leaner. I know one of them at home has DA stamped on it.

9. cmonson

Apr 7, 2006
    Calgary, Alberta
    You can get elec chokes at any auto parts supplier.

10. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    Wow! That's a great setup that you've got. I love Q-jets over any other carburator especially when it comes to street performance and economy.

I went to the web site and sent them an email asking for a quote on a Q-jet for our youngest son's SBC powered S10. He has a Edelbrock Performer on there now and even though Carter AFB style carbs are my second favorite carbs, they are still second.