non r/s stripes

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by boardog, Aug 17, 2011.

1. boardog

boardog Veteran Member

Dec 8, 2006
    north ga
    i have seen non r/s cars with several different stripe placements on the upper header panel. as far as i can tell the aim shows only one stripe placement on the upper header panel. it looks to be for a r/s car. anyone know the gm stripe placement for a non r/s 70 thru 73 car? anyone got a pic of a original car with the stripes? are the stripes the same for a r/s vs a non r/s car?

2. White81Z

White81Z Veteran Member

Nov 17, 2004
    NY
    The only 70-73 Camaro's that got stripes were the Z/28's.

No further comment.

Rick H.

3. boardog

boardog Veteran Member

Dec 8, 2006
    north ga
    i understand that, but not all camaro's with the z28 package got the r/s package. a bunch were non r/s cars. so my question is are the nose stripes the same?

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

What we need here will be pictures of original Z28/RS cars for each year. 1970, 1971, 1972, and 1973. In addition to that, we should get pictures of Van Nuys cars and Norwood cars. I believe there were small differences between years and also between assembly plants. Some of this might be the differences you see in the cars you look at.

5. boardog

boardog Veteran Member

Dec 8, 2006
    north ga
    if i understand right, the r/s cars got shorter stripes on the upper valace panel due to the urethane nose. the non r/s cars got longer stripes due to not having the urethane nose. i have looked thru the aim numerous times and it only shows the shorter stripes. i need the location for a non r/s car. i wonder why gm did not put both stripe placements in the aim. maybe there was an addition that the workers had that was not in the aim. chuck how do the judges view the stripe difference?
    here is a car i just finished, i used a micrometer to lay out the stripes exactly as the aim calls for. are these stripes correct for a non r/s car?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  6. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

If you check the Classic Industries catalog, they list 4 different stripe kits.

One piece rear spoiler without RS
    One piece rear spoiler with RS
    Three piece rear spoiler without RS
    Three piece rear spoiler with RS

So, not only are there differences up front due to the RS front end, but also at the rear due to the spoiler.

7. Mieser3

Mieser3 Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Pratt, Kansas
    Here's the stripes of my 70 Z28/RS that still has the original paint. It is a Van Nuys built car.

[​IMG]

8. boardog

boardog Veteran Member

Dec 8, 2006
    north ga
    back of the car is no problem, it is the low versus the high spoiler and where the stripes ended [la versus a norwood car] i have the rear and the hood stripes on. i need the correct answer on the front ones. maybe one of the experts will chime in. thanks gary for the info.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  9. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Hurlock, MD, USA
    ...a little off topic, but WOW Ken...that's some beautiful work.

10. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    AFAIK,the only thing that changes in the front is the angle of the stripes to follow the metal that changes from r/s.Ill check my 72aim tonight for you.