ok to sandblast intake manifold?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Solid71Steel, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Solid71Steel

Solid71Steel Veteran Member

Nov 23, 2007
    ok so i have two stock intakes in my garage that have accumulated alot of surface rust out and inside of it and i was wondering if these parts are able to be sandblasted? i ask b/c i've heard alot of engine components should not be sandblasted, does this apply to the intake? i mean i know i'd have to re-file the flat contact surfaces but is it safe aside from that?
  2. 79camaro2001

79camaro2001 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 4, 2003
    Monroeville, PA
    I have done intakes before, and had no problems from them. I just don't focus the blast at gasket surfaces. inside and out.
  3. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sand, bead, glass, media blasting is perfectly fine!

Like 79camaro2001 stated, be careful around the gasket surface areas!
    Just be sure to completely and throughly wash and scrub it out before installing it.
  4. green 1977

green 1977 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 18, 2003
    On Wisconsin!
    Yup did my intake... no problems what so ever
  5. More2Life

More2Life Veteran Member Gold Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Rolla, Missouri
    I sand blasted an Edelbrock one on my old 350 and then clear coated it. Turned out pretty good, easier to keep clean too.
  6. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I usually use media blast material. My buddy has his cabinet set up for pistons. My cabinet has sand, so we share.
    I did 4-5 in his, came out excellent. Sand can be a little rough, especially as said, on gasket surface.

7. pdq67

pdq67 BANNED

Jul 26, 2001
    Columbia, MO, USA
    Remember to pull the crossover heat shield and drive screws off if you are doing a stock intake that still has this on it so that the grit doesn't get caught behind it b/c if you don't, the blast media can later come loose and trash your engine!!

PS., carefully remove the drive screws and then carefully pein their holes a schosh tighter/closed if you will w/ a small ball-pein hammer and a drift punch and reuse them unless you can find new ones.
  8. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Philly area
    And clean the heck out of it after blasting- sand/media can hide out in many places. You don't want it finding it's way into your engine.

Sand blasting is too harsh for aluminum intakes, in my opinion (I don't know what media might be appropriate for aluminum, but I'm sure there's something appropriate). On cast iron intakes sand blasting is fine (avoiding gasket surfaces, of course). Aluminum intakes I usually get put in a big industrial "washing machine" that many engine shops in my area use for parts clean up. They come out looking "holy cow!" better.
  9. Cougar125

Cougar125 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 21, 2005
    Whidbey Island, WA
    Glass blasting works excellent. I did the intake for my truck (still not installed) on it and it looks fine. Make sure to blow it out real good with a compressor.