Ordering SGF11 X-Pipe...need advice on muffler off-set

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Rich_NEPA, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Rich_NEPA

Rich_NEPA Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Northeast PA
    Okay guys...I'm about to pull the trigger on ordering the Pypes X-Pipe system (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PYE-SGF11/)

And with this, I am going to get a set of the Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers. But, I've seen in some pics where the outlet is offset, and on others it is centered. Any thoughts on which one is best/better fit?

Offset
    http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194841

Centered
    http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2635385&postcount=12

Which one?

2. Lowend

Lowend Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    I've always used Offset inlet, center outlet on 2nd gens

3. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 8, 2001
    san bernardino calif
    i've used offset and centered inlet mufflers and both fit well and i'm running 3" exh up/over the axle also

4. sevitz5

sevitz5 Veteran Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Middle Point, Ohio
    I ordered the Pypes X Pipe, and had to send it back to Summit. It didn't fit worth a crap. The Muffler shop made me one for half the money, and it was a whole lot nicer. The bends on the x were way off, and it interfered with my crossmember. I went with offset inlet, centered outlet. The muffler shop angled them to get a clean cross of the rear axel. Here are some pics
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

5. Rich_NEPA

Jun 11, 2008
    Northeast PA
    Yikes! Part of the reason I was getting that kit was because I really haven't seen anything bad about it. From other members here, it seemed like it was pretty well aligned and they had good luck with it.

Was it that exact kit you had trouble with, the Pypes SGF-11? I don't want to spend over 300 bucks on a headache

thanks

6. sevitz5

sevitz5 Veteran Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Middle Point, Ohio
    I had the Pypes X pipe only, which Pypes told me was the front 1/3 of the system you are ready to order. The whole piece I got came from the collectors to the rear seat ares. The X layed in a bad spot and would not fit at all without extensive mods. I may have just gotten a bad part, but I sent it back. If you go through with it, let me know how it turns out.....just for my piece of mind. I don't want to be bad mouthing Pypes products if I simply got a bad part.

7. Rich_NEPA

Jun 11, 2008
    Northeast PA
    Thanks Brett - appreciate the info and I will certainly let you know if I decide to go with the kit.

Anyone else use the SGF11 kit? And, it looks like I have 2 votes for center outlets but I've seen pics that have the outlet offset....just looking for what would be the best one to get before I order anything.

8. cgibsong002

cgibsong002 Veteran Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Well if you got the X by itself and were hooking it up with another or custom system, you should expect some modifications. Even in general, the Pypes X will usually need to be cut to fit, but that's it as far as mods. I've had probably 5 or more Pypes systems installed on my car, no issues (they installed them). Go to their site and check the gallery for install pics.