Overhaulin ??

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Aceshigh, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 9, 2001
    How the hell do these guys get funding for all these cars they build ???
    They GOTTA cost a fortune in time, labor, parts, etc. I'm assuming SOME
    parts/labor is donated for glamor time being associated with Overhaulin's name.

I'm just thinking, they probably put $50,000+ into each car that rolls through
    their doors in a matter of just a week or less. Who funds this kinda stuff ??

This Nova-Caine episode was pretty cool.

You really just gotta wonder if they make the owner sign a waiver that the car
    has to be sold back to Foose if they sell it, or kick back some loot.
  2. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

the person or person doing the prank on the car owner like the wife of the owner of the nova pays for all the taxes on parts and i'm not sure if they pay for labor or not
  3. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

okay just found this disclaimer on the overhaulin website:

Disclaimer: Applicant agrees to pay all federal, state, and local taxes, including income, use or sales taxes or any other governmental charges imposed on prizes, including the value of any goods or services received and cash gifts, if any, given to me or received by me by reason of my participation in the program and I release and indemnify producer from any liability therefor. I also authorize producer to deduct or withhold any such taxes or charges that require a payment prior to delivery of said prizes, cash or gifts
  4. masparks

masparks Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Gas, Kansas
    yep it isn't free!!!!
  5. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Well , even if the car has say $100,000 put into it, I don't think labor is taxable.
    Well, that's IL iirc.

So figure 9% or whatever it is in CA on say just the parts......you're talking under $10,000 for $50,000 - $100,000 in work. It still doesn't account for all the costs of labor, shop time, and engines, trans, brakes, everything else.
  6. falcon4

falcon4 Member

Overhaulin is no longer in production. Sad really I wanted then to do either a mid 70's firebird or Camaro.
  7. sceld71

sceld71 Veteran Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Plain City, Ohio
    My wife tried for them to do my Camaro, but we live in Ohio not Cali. Go figure.
  8. speedyrev

speedyrev Veteran Member

Jul 30, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    100 grand would be nothing for a TV show budget. Most of the labor was donated just for the exposure on TV.

I don't know if I would want them to work on my ride. Chip Foose is awesome, but with rushed labor, I always wondered how well the work would hold up over time.
  9. LayZ

LayZ Veteran Member

Jun 9, 1999
    NJ. US
    Yea you guys have to remember this isn't your money. At work I see a server for 50k and I have heart failure. They look at it as a bargin since they are use to seeing million dollar budgets.
  10. Batman

Batman Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Mission Viejo, CA, USA
    They also did the car in a week, but then kept the car for a month afterwards to go through it and fix any issues and make sure it was up to snuff. If you noticed, they usually just started the car and played the "I Am Gasoline" song for the recipient, then it went to the hugs scene.