Please tell me abou 461x heads

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Phaedrus44, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Phaedrus44

Phaedrus44 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Hi all,

So I've been told by alot of my fellow competitors that for our Street Stock class, 461x heads are what you want....nothing else. I bought a set of bare heads from a guy who said they are 461x heads, and showed them to a friend who happens to work on a pro top fuel car and knows his stuff.

This friend says they are NOT 461x heads, they are regular 461 heads. The heads in question have the X stamped on the bottom of the water passage and nowhere else. My friend says if they were real 461x heads, the X would be stamped after the 461 on the bottom of the intake runners. I paid $500 for just the bare heads and he told me to get my money back. He told me that real 461x heads are super rare, and I probably won't even be able to find them.

Information I've found on the internets is mixed....there are two heads on ebay right now that the sellers claim are 461x even though they are just like mine with the X under the water passage.

Does anyone know for sure? I'm super confused! These heads are not even all that nice, with the side broken out of one head bolt hole and really bad seats and guides. My friend gave us a super nice set of 462 heads which he said will work better than the 76cc smogger junk I have on my race car now. Thanks!!!

2. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    Don't know a lot about early heads but this might help:
    http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=547.0

You'd have to measure runner volume to truly know. Since 462's were the next iteration might they have larger runner volumes also? Just a thought:bowtie:

3. Musmoke

Musmoke Veteran Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Kingston, Ontario
    461X head will have an actual "461x" cast in the underside.
    A normal 461 head has "461" cast.
    Not a huge difference between the two but they are different as cast from the factory.

4. NYH1

NYH1 Veteran Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Central New York
    Does your class allow you to use World Products S/R or S/R Torquer heads or even Dart 165cc Iron Eagle heads?

I know some tracks and/or sanctioning bodies allow certain new aftermarket heads to be used in place of older worn out 40 year old heads. The aftermarket heads are usually thinker in the crack prone areas of stock heads. They usually flow better and have better combustion chambers too.

If you have to use stock heads I really can't help you. I've heard a lot about the old "camel back" heads. I don't know what casting numbers they are. I've always' used aftermarket heads on my street cars. I like using iron heads, makes them look more original and I'm not building racecar's. I used Dart Sportsman II heads on my last build. This time I want with Summit Vortec heads which are made by Dart.

good luck, NYH1! :bowtie:

5. Phaedrus44

Apr 2, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    That's what my friend says. It says "461" on the underside with an X cast all by itself seperate from the number. Guess these aren't 461x.

6. Phaedrus44

Apr 2, 2009
    San Jose, CA

Unfortunately no, stock iron heads only. No angle plugs, no Vortec. It kind of sucks, cause you have to put $1500 into a 40 year old set of crack prone heads, instead of spending the same amount on some decent aftermarket heads and being done with it.

7. 1972L

1972L Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Miami, Florida
    The 461 x heads I have seen have the X cast (not stamped) on the underside of the intake runner.

8. NYH1

NYH1 Veteran Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Central New York
    That sucks. Well good luck with your heads and racing! :D

9. Bikefixr

Bikefixr Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 13, 2006
    461X heads have the X cast in, not stamped. They always read 461X. They do not have accessory holes. They have screw in studs. They usually have 2.02 intakes, but I have see them with 1.94 intakes. They are rare. I've had maybe 4 or 5 sets...and that was in the late 70's to late 80's when they were still around. They flowed a little better than the standard Fuelie heads like the 291, 041, 461 and the like. They needed a lot of work to make them really run. A stock Vortec will put it to shame right out of the box.

10. hhott71

hhott71 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Joplin Mo. 64801