Power for electric fuel pump

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by tspring1, Feb 12, 2017.

1. tspring1

tspring1 Veteran Member

Jul 17, 2008
    andalusia al
    I just installed a fuel pump on my 81 Camaro. What is the best place to wire it to for power. I will need to put it to a switched power source.

2. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

you could run a relay set up. mount a relay up near battery, tap into the black with yellow tracer wire that goes to wiper motor to turn the relay on when key is turned on. make sure you use a good quality correct amperage relay. running this setup lets you use a low current switching wire to turn on a high current circuit.

3. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    What's real helpful is to have a on/off switch wired onto the low current wire. This way you can turn the pump off when you need the ign. on. Wire in a fuse between the pump & power source.

4. grzewnicki

5. Rdobbs1977

Rdobbs1977 Veteran Member

Dec 1, 2014
    TN
    That's how i did mine on my drag car.

6. Rdobbs1977

Rdobbs1977 Veteran Member

Dec 1, 2014
    TN
    on/off toggle is how i have mine wired on drag car but even if i were to install one in my daily driver, i'd do it the same way. Also I would not though want to tap into another component/part of the car to get my power. run it direct. i assume to you're running a fuel pressure regulator?

7. tspring1

tspring1 Veteran Member

Jul 17, 2008
    andalusia al
    I am going to run my wire inside and connect to a switched power source on the fuse block. I did not use a regulator because the pump I used has a 5.5 max pressure and the Eldebrock carb I'm using recommends 5.5. I ended up mounting the pump to the trunk pan slightly behind the rear end.

8. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

As mentioned, direct from battery, through a relay is best.
    If you are adding more accessories consider an aux panel with 4-6-8 circuits.
    If not, then I run a holder on the battery.
    Check the draw so you know what gauge and fuse to use.
    It's a very simple project, and there is nothing wrong with using a keyed circuit to run that relay.
    The fog light relays are continuous duty and perfect for this project if you get the proper rating.

9. grzewnicki

It's funny how someone asks for advice, get's it from fellow members and then just wires up without taking any of the advice into consideration. Uuugh, sometimes I wonder why I come on here.

10. junkyardZ28find

junkyardZ28find Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2012
    des moines, iowa
    I'd suggest running the trigger side thru an oil pressure switch for the relay-this way if pressure drops out the fuel pump will shut off. May help save a motor worst case.