Powerbond Damper

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Hey G, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Hey G

Hey G Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2012
    SC
    Merry christmas gear heads. Well, I bought a new harmonic damper for the ole maro and ran into a minor issue. When I put it all back together the belt started squealing. I have an '88 Iroc serpentine belt setup on a '99 vortec gen I engine.

Anyway, the problem seems to be that the new damper is .106" too long and it throws off the belt alignment enough to make it squeal. I measured from the face of the damper to back of the snout on each damper. The original one measures 2.237" long and the new Powerbond measured 2.343" long...I couldn't believe it. Also, I could use a straight edge and clearly see the belt angled out (toward radiator) about an eighth inch.

Have any of you other gear heads had this problem? Very disappointed, but I guess that's what I get for being a cheapo and not paying $300 for a nice ATI damper or something. Anyway, my plan is to face off the hundred thousandths off the snout and call it a day...what do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks,

G

2. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Philly area
    The problem is that the Vortec motors use a toothed wheel that the crank sensor reads off of captured between the balancer and the lower timing gear. Guess how thick it is? Yep. That thick.

They changed the design over the years, I think, but here's a good pic of what I'm talking about:

http://www.handymanlyness.com/archi...d_01/02/emcrrb54a_engine_rebuild_99_Jimmy.jpg

Either get a Vortec-spec balancer, have your balancer snout machined down to get the crank pulley back in line with the rest of the accessories or rip the timing chain cover off, fish that toothed wheel off the crank snout and reassemble as before.

This has nothing to do with "cheap parts". That's just one of those little bugaboos you run into when trying to modify factory Vortec motors.

3. Hey G

Hey G Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2012
    SC
    That's some great info right there. So I will go ahead and face off the extra length. I'm a machinist so that will be a quick job. Thanks for the help.

G

4. Hey G

Hey G Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2012
    SC
    Update: I faced off the .100" from the snout of the damper...and it fits like a glove. It's nice to have a new damper, seems to run a little smoother. Also, checking the timing is a snap because the damper is marked.

G