Proportioning valve reset?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Darknight, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Darknight

Darknight Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 6, 2005
    Houston, TX USA
    someone once wrote a way to reset the thing.

I though if you have the rear circuit open a little, then pump like bleeding then nail the pedal with all your might it will reset the ball?

any truth?

2. 1FstChevy

1FstChevy Veteran Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Buckeye State
    I wasn't aware that they require "resetting"

However I did just purchase an SSBC prop valve with gauge so if this is the case perhaps I should be educated about it now???

3. Darknight

May 6, 2005
    Houston, TX USA
    The factory old style have a little bb like ball inside, allows pressure build up to make pedal easy. Builds pressure to rear drums so they can start to stop before front discs kick in. If stuck building to rear, the rear will lock up and drag, that keeps being my problems intermittingly.

Only thing not new is the prop valve. I know there is a way to sometimes reset it without replacing it.

4. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  5. Darknight

May 6, 2005
    Houston, TX USA
    I tried that route John, now my back breaks dont even engage, no fluid coming out, and all circuits closed, no action on back breaks.

they locked up again yesterday, so bled at master, bled under proportiong valve and pushed button in while doing. then bled rear brakes and nothing would come out. Then I noticed the shoes were not even moving out.

all part are new by the way, minus the prop valve.

6. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Sounds like you've either have a bad prop valve or an air lock in the rear brake circuit. If you don't have, see if you can borrow a vacuum pump for the brakes. While pulling vacuum on a rear cyl, you should see fluid dropping in the rear reservoir.

This happened to me last year when I rebuild my brakes. The pin popped out on the prop valve and I could not get it to reset or get any fluid to the rear cyl's. I wound up buying a new prop valve.

They don't make the old style cast iron ones anymore, so if you want to keep it original, you'll have to go evil bay or somewhere else. Good Luck.

7. Darknight

May 6, 2005
    Houston, TX USA
    Corky, what type did you buy? I hear issues with typical adjustable ones?

8. Orange71

Orange71 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Finksburg, MD
    Close...that's how my neighbor(GM mech.) & I did my son's '92 Camaro. Have someone at the right wheel while you pump up the pedal, hold the pedal while he opens & closes the bleeder. Pump the pedal till it's firm and then hit the pedal hard and hold hard. You shoud hear/feel the PV reset. Without letting up on the pedal open the bleeder and he should get fluid.
    If it doesn't reset after a few tries doing this then it may be stuck due to dirt/corrosion and need to be replaced as mentioned above. Good luck!

9. 1FstChevy

1FstChevy Veteran Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Buckeye State
    You mentioned issues with adjustable type prop valves??? Thats the first time I've heard that, what type of issues are you talking about?

I bought a high quality SSBC unit as opposed to a cheaper generic one from JEGS or wherever, I'd have a hard time believing it would fail.

10. Darknight

May 6, 2005
    Houston, TX USA
    Its not the valves themselves that are bad, its that stock systems work better with the metering/prop/safety all in one system.