pros / cons of running a aluminum water pump

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by muscl car, Jun 18, 2010.

1. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

is there any advantage of running a aluminum water pump besides saving 7lbs of weight off of the front of the motor . prices for these aluminum pumps are insane with prices starting at $150 and up :eek: , i can get a nice stock cast iron hvy duty version long pump from kragens for $75.00
  2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV

I bought an aluminum water pump from White Performance on Ebay. Cost like $60 and works fine. If I recall Lifetime Warranty too.
  3. muscl car

i try and stay far away from EVILBAY !!!!:eek::eek:
  4. muscl car

here's what i've found so far from summit and are all cast aluminum natural finish:

weiand action plus water pump $94.20

weiand/team G water pump $ 161.95

edelbrock $155

proform $62

over on they've got really nice competion style aluminum water pumps with very high flow rates but are all short design style and would need the spacers to make it into a long version :( .they do have a stewart stage I cast iron pump for $69
  5. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

the only thing I would point out to you is to fill the cooling system with Distilled Water and not Tap water. In nearly any circumstance, mineral deposits in regular tap water does not allow full ability to transfer heat when used with anti freeze, Red Line Water Wetter, Pro Blend 40 Below, or other cooling additives. Also, distilled water will help reduce the electrolysis process in eating away the aluminum casting...
  6. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The weight and longevity alone is worth using aluminum.
    My Stewart is probably 20 years old, and no rotted spots.
    It's also only seen distilled water, and is drained 1/2 the year.
    For a well maintained street car aluminum might not be worth it??

7. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Chuck, aside from weight, an aluminum pump has no advantage on a typical street driven car. My factory pump does just fine on the hottest days with the A/C running in bumper to bumper traffic.
  8. gingerbreadman

gingerbreadman Veteran Member

Jun 2, 2009
    gold coast , australia

its nice to hear someone else join the electrolysis bandwagon. there are so many doubters out there but i have seen the terror it can cause. i try to limit my aluminium parts especially radiators as their lifespan can be cut very short with a stray current problem.

in saying that i think thick parts like waterpumps , heads, manifolds etc are way more durable to it than a thin, weak radiator tube is so i have no problem in buying those kind of parts.

i run weiind pumps..cant remember what series they are unfortunatly :(

9. 70RS_L48

70RS_L48 Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Seattle Area
    I've been running a tall Edelbrock aluminum water pump (IIRC) for 11 years now, with tap water and Prestone, driven a couple thousand miles per year. Only flushed twice in its life, with a stint sitting for four years without any attention. Not a single leak or bearing failure. Seems to be stout piece for the relative abuse I've provided it. That said, the big difference in cooling for my car came from a Be Cool radiator. Swapping to the aluminum pump just saved weight for me. It didn't change cooling performance.
  10. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 18, 2003
    BC, Canada
    I have a Prof Products alum w/p. Its the one thing on the entire engine that bolted on and worked properly.