Quarter panel fitment

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by brooksman9, Jan 22, 2015.

1. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
    Trying to fit the new quarter panels and running in to a slight issue. If I hook over the fender lip (bottom arrow) it won't sit flat at the top (top arrow) and vice versa. It's close but just too tight to force down. Any ideas? Everything else seems to fit pretty good.

[​IMG]

2. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    That wheel well needs to be reworked then I would say.

3. brooksman9

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
    I wish you wouldn't say that. lol. I lined them up with the original alignment holes and the outline of the old ones. They should be the closest thing to being correct on the car. Hmmm...

4. Dukes72

Dukes72 Veteran Member

Mar 14, 2008
    Central IA
    Not sure what you mean by not flat at the top arrow. Slip it back on a grab a photo? Things we're pretty tight on mine between wheel well and trunk lip but I still used ratchet strap to pull the quarters together and tuck the lower rear quarters inward to fit.

5. MotionClone

MotionClone Veteran Member

Jan 20, 2014
    away from the crazies
    Wheel well is hanging you up. I had the same problem. I had to let my rear quarter panel determine where the wheel well was going to sit. The "alignment" holes where off.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  6. brooksman9

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
    That is not good. I welded those in when I was still going to use the skins. :mad:

7. x77-69z28

x77-69z28 Veteran Member

Feb 5, 2010
    long island, new york
    I would say the repro outer wheelhouse is the problem. I am in the middle of the same job, and was pretty adamant about finding NOS outer wheelhouses. It took a while, but I found them. I have found that with any repro part, they are just a little off. Multiply that with repro quarters, and trunk drop offs, and stuff is off.

8. MotionClone

MotionClone Veteran Member

Jan 20, 2014
    away from the crazies
    Not sure how much force you're having to give it to suck it down to the window channel lip but I remember both of mine taking a bit of force sucking them down even after I fixed the wheel well issue. I just used self tapping screws to bring it in. I have AMD panels.

9. brooksman9

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
    Hard to see, it's dark out there right now.

[​IMG]

10. brooksman9

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
    Both panels are AMD.