Rear end install

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by blake22, Feb 17, 2011.

1. blake22

blake22 Veteran Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Cleburne Texas
    Well last night I pulled a rear end out of my 79 parts car and cleaned it all up. Ive painted it andit looks pretty good. Since im replacing the leafs that are on the car should I put the rear end and leaf springs in as one or do the leafs then the rear end? Ijust want to make it easyer on myself. Also, does anyone know the rear leaf spring shackle bushings part numbers? The idiots at my local autozone couldn't find it

2. EricsZ28

EricsZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Here and there...
    The rear end goes on top of the leaf springs... Here is mine when with everything loosely connected. I installed it and tightened everything up (I removed the tires when I installed the assembly, lol ;) ):

[​IMG]

I bought my bushings from NPD...

3. warped

warped Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I can't imagine trying to install the springs and rear end together. I would install the front of the springs, then set the rear on jack stands in position and bring up the rear of the springs to the shackles. Lower the rear into position on the springs and bolt the springs to the rear. Sorry, can't give any part numbers for the bushings. Good luck.

4. EricsZ28

Feb 28, 2006
    Here and there...
    Actually, the locating pins and perches on the rear and leaf springs help locate the assembly. I tightened everything up enough to lock the assembly together, but still allow some play. Piece of cake.

5. blake22

blake22 Veteran Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Cleburne Texas
    Haha if you took a pic of mine and where it is it would be exactly the same!! Did you paint your cover or is that chrome? I painted mine

6. blake22

blake22 Veteran Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Cleburne Texas
    They are called "shackle bushings" right?

7. fnoblitt

fnoblitt Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2009
    riverside calif.
    national parts depot(800-235-3445) has the bushings. part#c-7524-2a $3.50 each

8. frankz

frankz Veteran Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Illinois
    I used to go that route also but have since built a cradle that allows me to lift the rear as an assembly.

9. blake22

blake22 Veteran Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Cleburne Texas
    That sounds cool!! I might have to do that... Thanks for the number!

10. EricsZ28

Feb 28, 2006
    Here and there...
    Yeah - painted. It turned out nice.

I did eventually replace it with a TA Performance rear-end girdle cover for a little extra peace of mind. My 383 has a bit of torque and it hooks halfway decent...