Rear Leaf Springs... is there any truth?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Mottley's79, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Mottley's79

Mottley's79 Veteran Member

May 22, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    There is so much BS on here about the second gen leaf springs. 3, 4 and 5 leafs, different spring rates, junk parts. I am looking for an affordable ($350 with shipping included) factory style set of replacement rear springs for my 1979 Z28 that I can either get locally or shipped for a reasonable price. The local spring shop quoted me $500 taxes in for a new set (Don't know brand) or $450 to get my old junk ones 'rebuilt'. The summit springs (SUM-7081GM) look like a great option, but everyone says they are crap and are for a Nova. Is there truth other than a $500 bill?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  2. warped

warped Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

$500?!?! I think it is time to find a new spring shop. I got mine re-arched and rebuilt for $60 per side. Tookj them apart (5 leaf) replaced the sliders and clips after they arched them back to spec.

If you look around, you will find springs from many of the usual sources for under $200, though as you say, sometimes you takes your chances with what springs you will get. I would at the very least look around for another spring shop you can compare prices with. Maybe the first shop really doesn't want the job and just is giving you a high price to scare you off. Good luck.

3. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I just posted in another thread about springs....after lots of research (on nasty) the consesus seems to be Eaton comes in first for getting people the right ride height. But let me digress and say this, why go with stock springs, I tried Classic Industries, so called replacement springs before I knew better, and the car sat way to high. Now as I look back, what was I thinking? You want you car to handle a bit better than stock right? Look into the Pro touring F Body set up, I used the sport level springs which is advertised as an improved WS-6 (Pontiac Trans Am) suspension. The car sits at a nice height, (read, close to stock height for Sport level springs, I did front and rears) and I have a spring that is engineered to reduce or eliminate wheel hop the rears that is (it works!), and is enginneered for better handling. I would recommend to anyone contemplating springs, spend a little more and go with a spring that gives you more than stock handling, whethe rit be PTFB, Hotchikis or anyone else. Why go through all that work for 70's handling. Later on if you want the easy parts comes, upgrade sway bars, better upper control arms and ball joints, which are all easier than installing springsStart with the springs to give yourself a good base for improving on.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  4. cars4life

cars4life Veteran Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Poughkeepsie N.Y.
    ^^^ that's excellent advice.^^^

5. Widowmaker01

Widowmaker01 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2009
    North East, PA
    I ordered these from Summit and installed them a couple weeks ago.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-7081GM/

I know a lot of people had problems with the Nova spring thing but mine put the car back to factory highth/stance just as I wanted. I assume they finally got it right.

edit: Btw,they were $220.85 delivered to my door.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  6. Mottley's79

Mottley's79 Veteran Member

May 22, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Thank you Widowmaker for answering the root of my question and thanks grzewnicki for giving me something to think about. I knew the great people on this forum would come through for me!

7. TAlou

TAlou New Member

Jun 18, 2011
    southeast USA
    Anyone tried these Summit, lowering springs?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-7081GM-2/

I've got two 2nd gen's and have hotchkiss coils and springs on one of them - just took that car to road atlanta and the kit worked great for that. It is pretty low for a street car, IMHO. And that is with 27" tires on front and 28" tires on the back.

Before messing with that car, my other 2nd gen needed new rear springs and I ordered "stock" Eaton springs for a 2nd gen and they are 4wd springs (too high) - I am looking to replace those and hotchkiss is okay, just $$$$. 430.00 or so for the springs. Those summit units (as was mentioned before) are like 210.00 or so for the pair and that is after the extra 8bucks for oversize.

PS...I just put Eibach coils on my non-Hotchkis car, they were 50 bucks less per set and "seem" just as nice as the Hotchkiss coils and about the same height.

Anyone use the Summit lowering leafs??

8. indy camaro

indy camaro Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 22, 2011
    USA
    I got the Detriot Speed 3" lowering rear leafs from summit ... Bolted right in perfect ... And the stance is right on (for me anyway) $269.00 delivered . 500$ is outrageous !!

9. TAlou

TAlou New Member

Jun 18, 2011
    southeast USA

Did you ever install these? I have to think that you got the Summit springs. DSE's cost more than 269shipped and I don't think Summit carries them.

10. 71flh

71flh Veteran Member

Jun 1, 2010
    DFW
    Motley, were those installed prices? Its a bit of work to install springs... I see the US and Canadian $ are essentially even right now BTW.