Rear spoiler not setting flush with rear quarter panel

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Brian, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Brian

Brian Veteran Member

Aug 12, 1999
    OHIO
    I put a new quarter skin on one side of the car and left the original mounting area for spoiler intact and welded to it. The other side i put a full quarter on and made a templet of the original mounting holes to transfer over. Now neither left side or right side spoiler seem to match the contour of the quarter panel all that well. Has anyone had this problem and maybe a solution to how they corrected it? Meaning that there is a slight gap between the crown of quarter panel and the bottom edge of spoiler of about 1/8 -3/16 inch. Not so much so at either end or where the side of the quarter transitions over to the top. I'm referencing the left and right side of the 3 piece rear spoiler on a 1979 Z28

2. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    They tend to fit like garbage. To the quarters and to eachother. They're glass though, so it's easy to add material and make them fit perfect. That's what I did with mine.

3. phat80

phat80 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Victoria BC
    I have the same challenge with mine. Seems to be a theme. I'm debating putting a whole bunch of energy into fixing or just living with it:)

4. perkalator

perkalator Veteran Member Gold Member

Aug 27, 2014
    kennewick wa
    Post up some pictures. Im assuming the spoiler fit correctly before the skin install. You may be dealing with warpage or just poor quality on the the reproduction panel.

5. zekefreak

zekefreak Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 16, 2006
    western PA
    I had that same problem and I just enlarged the holes in the quarters with a round file till the ends lined up. I then put thick rubber washers on the bolts to seal the holes. Its been 7 years, so far, so good.

6. Brian

Brian Veteran Member

Aug 12, 1999
    OHIO
    the first side wasn't too bad so I was considering building it up as suggested but the other side probably would look obvious that it was built up to meet the panel ( maybe just meo_O ) they originally fit pretty well and most I have seen, well any that i remember or have looked at since, match the contour good. now the alignment and gap between the 3 pieces is another matter. putting the nut on them and drawing it tight does help pull it into shape some but at the expense of a small area as opposed to the entire curve. I was wondering if anyone has tried to form a heavy strip of metal to match the shape of the spoiler then use that inside the quarter to help spread the load and help form the correct arch? I was pretty excited how everything was coming together with a few exception to panel gaps and now this. I'm glad to hear that it hasn't been just me, but after fitting the panels as best as I could, knowing I would have to massage and work the gaps / alignment, it has been pretty discouraging seeing how bad these spoiler pieces are fitting to my finished work.

7. perkalator

Aug 27, 2014
    kennewick wa
    Post pictures.

1. You may need to stretch the metal. Take a dolly and hammer and follow your welds.
    2. Bad contures on the reproduction panels will require filler.
    3, the spoiler did not fit well to begin with, or was modified to fit previous damage and repair.

I welded only lower quarter patches on my car. I had to hammer and dolly along the weld seam several times before the spoiler would sit correctly on the drivers side.

8. Brian

Brian Veteran Member

Aug 12, 1999
    OHIO
    IMG_2178.jpg IMG_2176.jpg IMG_2177.jpg
    The first picture is from the side with the skin, it was welded about a half inch below the top belt line and just forward of the mounting holes for the spoiler. Funny thing is, this side came out better than the full quarter side. the light gray you see under the bottom edge (dust) is the actual gap. I had just planned to build up the bottom edge of spoiler to match the contour. The last two pictures show the gap on the top and side of the fender. I used a large washer and the nut to cinch it up and it did help, however there are not enough studs to evenly attach it, thus the thought of using a heavy strip of metal worked to match the contour and help better evenly spread the load came to mind. As it sits now, I feel the contour would look high / wavy in the attached areas and building up the gap may look way to obvious?

9. perkalator

Aug 27, 2014
    kennewick wa
    You will need to slowly pull out or hammer out the contour. E-longate the holes to allow the side spoiler to move laterally toward the center spoiler. This will help line up your center angle on the side spoiler to the quarter panel. Then slowly pull the panel out using a stud gun, or slowly hammer and dolly the metal out till the countoir matches. You can see the dip in the panel in the pictures. Your going to end up with some body filler but by massaging the panel out you can minimize the thickness. You may also have to add a little fiber glass to tune the spoiler to the panel, but get the panel as close as possible, do your filler work and then tune the spoiler to fit.

10. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Your Gap with the center section looks pretty large. Is your trunk properly aligned and does the end piece go all the way to the edge? It looks like you need to slide the spoiler a bit towards the center and get it up on the ridge. If it is already to the edge of the trunck see what it looks like if you keep pushing it past the edge and if the gap starts to close. You can them trim the end to be flush with the trunk edge again. Then any gap you need to fill should be much smaller. The small adjustment/change to the spoiler size won't be noticeable to the eye.