Rear Trunk Lid

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by 79berltta, Apr 28, 2012.

1. 79berltta

79berltta Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Long Island, New York
    My original trunk lid had some bad rust damage so I bought an OER one to replace it and realized putting it on wasn't going to be as easy as I thought. Its been the biggest pain in the neck trying to get it to line up correctly. I'm sure if I play with it enough I'll get it right but if someone can give me some advice and save me some time I'd appreciate it.

2. volsfan

volsfan Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2008
    daytona beach, fl
    There are some tricks but we need to know how it isn't fitting...if that makes sense?

3. Lambourne

Lambourne New Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Artesia
    An option instead of fixxing the trunk is to get a used panel at a junk yard.

4. 79berltta

79berltta Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Long Island, New York
    The problem fitting it has to do with the gaps on both sides of the trunk opening. Its too close on one side and too big of a gap on the other side.

5. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    I had to spread my hinges pretty far apart to get mine to sit right in the opening.You just have to keep playing with it(lol).
    FWIW,the repop trunklid I had gotten fit great and looked like oem,the only thing was it wasnt spot welded to the frame,so it would twist on open and close.I used my spoiler as a clamp to keep it where I needed it,then tacked it in a few places.I wound up using the original lid,after having an accident with the repop.
    Just be mindful when constantly adjusting the repop stuff,the nutserts will tend to pull thru with frequent overtightening.(or is it just me?)

6. david.carlton@s

david.carlton@s Veteran Member

Sep 1, 2009
    CA
    I have both an original and a repro trunk lid. I was able to solve the gap issues by adjusting the hinges and trunk latch. Didn't have any trouble there. However, the repro lid seems to be a little flatter on the top or front edge. It doesn't conform to the quarter panels and line up as well. It sticks up a little high.

7. 76 camaro car 1

76 camaro car 1 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2010
    St.Augustine,Florida
    Try loosening all the bolts,push it towards the side with the large gap and hold pressure on it while tightening the bolts.

8. 79berltta

79berltta Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Long Island, New York
    I learned there is no easy way to do this other than trial and error. Finally got it right. Wonder how they did this at the factory as they sure didn't use all the time I did.