Replacing Window Blow-Out Clips

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by kryptik, Jan 25, 2012.

1. kryptik

kryptik New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Hello guys,

I just finished installing power windows, weatherstrip, panels etc onto my 70 Camaro's doors (essentially a full restoration of the doors). Everything went smoothly (which is when I started to worry ;) ), until one of the blow-out clips which holds the front of the window along the roofrail snapped.

The weatherstrip I am using is original GM tooling, and being such is quite pricey. I'm looking for suggestions for how to go about replacing these clips without damaging the current weatherstrip (if that's even possible). I'd really like to avoid purchasing a new set of original roofrail weatherstrips.

Any and all help is much appreciated.

2. sevitz5

sevitz5 Veteran Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Middle Point, Ohio
    NPD sells just the blow out clips.....if I remember right they were only around $8...maybe. I changed mine, its real simple, they just pop rivit in. You will only have to pull down the seal in that area, drill out the old rivits, and then rivit the new ones into place. Good luck
  3. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Indialantic, Florida
    Sounds like the right answer! :bowtie:
  4. Hoot

Hoot Veteran Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Greenville MS
  5. Fbodywarehouse

Fbodywarehouse Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 7, 2006
  6. 81Z4ME

81Z4ME Veteran Member

Dec 1, 2000
    Chesterfield, VA, USA
    I need to check the 74 and see if it has them or not.

On the other hand, how fast do you have to go in a 2nd Gen Camaro to actually use the clips? I've been there in the 73 Laguna a couple of times and in one other car twice. Never in the 81 Z28 (T-tops anyway) and I actually haven't driven the 74 LT out on the road yet.