Riding lawn mower.....NO SPARK!

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Keizer, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Keizer

Keizer BANNED

Jan 17, 2005
    Wa State
    Ok, this is my riding lawn mower. I was using it the other day, and it was running great, just like always. I stopped to empty the bags, and then returned back to the mower. When I started it back up, it suddenly just died just like if you pulled the wire to the coil on your Camaro.

Anyway, I checked and cleaned the air filter. I pulled the fuel line on the other side of the fuel filter and had good fuel flow through the filter.

I checked spark, and was getting a little spark, but not a consistent spark every time the piston was at the firing cycle.

I bagged the troubleshooting, and just finished the lawn with the push mower.

So today I drained the fuel, and the fuel line, and added new fuel. I thought maybe I had bad gas. Again, it wouldn't start. So, I check spark again, and get a very intermittent spark, and then no spark at all from either plug. By this time I'm using the start feature on my battery charger, so I have plenty of torque to turn the engine over.

So, looking at my pic, can I assume I need the part that has the two plug wires coming out of it? If so, what is that part called?

Thanks for any help!! EDIT: I have re-sized the pic three times, and it just stays BIG........sorry.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2009

ILLREGAL New Member

May 10, 2009
    ontario canada
    you meen the coil?
  3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Do you wear a pacemaker?

Magnet still on the flywheel?

Hold the plug wire while you slowly rotate the magnet past the coil pick-up.
    If the coil is dead.... You won't feel much.

A good coil/magnet will tell you to leave it alone. <- Pacemaker Alert ;)
  4. 79camaro2001

79camaro2001 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 4, 2003
    Monroeville, PA
    it's a ignition coil.

Check the gap between the coil and the round disc so you can put the new one in the ballpark of where it needs to be. pull the coil off and replace it with a new one. set the gap to where the old one was located and hopefully it will fire off with no problem. Also might want to make sure the surface isn't rusted causing a bad reading.

If you can get the actual gap requirement from the lawn mower part store then I would use that one.
  5. bbc nova

bbc nova Veteran Member

Apr 18, 2007
    Ignition Coil

Make sure to test the magnets on the flywheen and make sure they are magnatized. If they are get a new coil.

Replaced on on my lawn tractor earlier this spring. Call any small engine shop and give then the model # of the engines and they can hook you up. IIRC mine was like $50
  6. Keizer

Keizer BANNED

Jan 17, 2005
    Wa State
    Yeah, the magnets are good. I loosened the coil and turned the large wheel, and the coil sticks good to the magnets. I cleaned the outer part of the wheel with a small wire brush, as well as the coil......no go.
  7. gordonquixote

gordonquixote Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Tallahassee, FL
    Kill/safety switch you possibly forgot about? Lots of riders won't spark unless you are sitting in the front seat.
  8. Keizer

Keizer BANNED

Jan 17, 2005
    Wa State
    Nope, didn't forget the kill switch in the seat. All the testing is from sitting in the seat.

Are these coils either good or bad, or can they still spit out a random spark? I can get a quick spark every once in awhile, but for the most part.....no spark.
  9. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    That's a magneto Doug, and yes it can have a partial failure.
  10. crazypurgatory

crazypurgatory Veteran Member

Well I can't say for sure on the coil but If you getting week spark you might want to see if you can move the coil closer to the flywheel.
    It's been a while since I messed with a coil I think you can move them to set the gap between the coil and the flywheel.
    You can also go to briggs & stratton and down load a repair manual.
    Well it's more like a parts list but you will have all the part numbers for your engine.
    Good stuff to have in any case.:):)
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2009