S10-Blazer rear disc conversion

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by woody80z28, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Poncho72

Poncho72 Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Alexandria, LA
    Went to the salvage yard today, they finally have enough of these SUV's there to make a complete swap. Scored everything right down to the brake lines and bolts, except the pads and rotors for $35. Best deal i've gotten in a loooong time. i am collecting parts, soon i hope to assemble a car. the tub has been on the rotisserie for 2 months. i know this swap will eliminate the dreaded brake fade of drum brakes, but can any of you guys report on any braking performance improvement related to this conversion?

2. Pdubss

Pdubss Veteran Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    The s10 setup is great. I have had no issues and they gave been trouble free. I still haven't found a buget friendly solution to the e brake cables though

3. Poncho72

Poncho72 Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Alexandria, LA
    i have the factory e-brake cables and i hope i can adapt them to a Lokar lever style hand pull setup next to the center console. i hated the factory e-brake pedal position in my last 2nd gen.(always got in the way of my big feet), i did'nt use it much because it was an automatic, and where i live is basically flat. this build will be a 6-speed T56 so i'll probably use it more often. if all else fails, i'll use Lokar cables to adapt it.

4. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    I used the Lokar cables and and a 4th-gen handbrake for mine, too. I never liked the ebrake pedal either so I never even tried it.

Will the OEM Blazer cables not work? They are a foot pedal like the 2nd-gens...

5. Poncho72

Poncho72 Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Alexandria, LA

i must apologize for not giving you props earlier and commend you for a great how to post Woody. i kinda guessed that the cables wouldn't work for what i'm trying to accomplish. can you post more detailed picks of your e-brake setup. mostly want to see the underside of the car since i know by now all the interior is finished and dressed. my goal is to mount the hand-brake lever on the floor under my right leg, but i haven't gotten any further than the thought process. haven't done any calcs or rough-ins yet. i'm still in the gathering stage and the body is on the rotisserie.

OKay Woody, i took another look at your Motortopia pics and saw your setup. thanks

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  6. riderwestslope

riderwestslope Veteran Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Western Colorado
    Does anyone know if the Astro Van rear brakes are the same as the S10 Blazer stuff?

7. Hey G

Hey G Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2012
    SC
    Check Rock Auto.com they have an interactive catalog that will let you click on the part number and that shows a "buyer's guide" that will give you a cross-over list.

G

8. flowjoe

flowjoe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    Doing this swap and ended up buying calipers without pads. Was going to pick up the Hawk pads Woody lists in post #1 but want to match to my front pads. Summit shows two pad numbers for the Hawk LTS pads for '71 Camaro. Which to get?

9. 2ndGenJunkie

2ndGenJunkie Member

May 7, 2013
    Suisun City, CA
    Thanks alot for posting this guide. I recently bought a 73 camaro with the blazer rear disk conversion and i couldnt figure out why i kept getting brake noise. Well the previous owner didnt put the washers in to space out the backing plate so the caliper was not centered and the rotor was rubbing the abutment clips in the caliper brackets...

10. ladybegood1962

ladybegood1962 New Member

Sep 13, 2016
    derbyhire uk
    need help

Guys

I live in the UK and can't find any 2WD blazers, does anyone have a spare passenger side ebrake plate so I can complete my upgrade?

Cheers

John