Scorpion intake

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by camaro71/holland, Oct 12, 2007.

1. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Aug 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Hi,

if you have read my 'Give me that vntage look' topic, you know what I'm looking for. Right now I'm thinking about putting an Edelbrock Scorpion intake on the engine.

I was trying to find some info about this manifold, but there is very little to find. I know about SBC/torque/dual plane/Performer RPM and so on..... But I'm willing to sacrifice a bit for that vintage '70 look.

Unless I have to sacrifice too much. So please share your info if you have any experiance with this intake - see my signature for some info about my engine.

Thanks

2. hhott71

hhott71 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Joplin Mo. 64801
    4500- 8500 rpm range
    no heat crossover ports
    first of the "air gap" type manifold.

A Trantula or Torker (not the torker 2) are better driving intakes.

3. pdq67

pdq67 BANNED

Jul 26, 2001
    Columbia, MO, USA
    Imho, I figure the old Chevy Scorpion single plane intake was the best there was until the Holley TM-1 and Chevy/E-brock's SY1 came out and later, the Chevy Victor Jr.

Try here for a partial list of vintage intakes..

http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/edel.htm

pdq67

4. camaro71/holland

Aug 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    So both you guys say that a TM-1 / Torker 1 would have better manners on the street, probably due to better = lower RPM range??
    Those intakes have same old school look I'm looking for.

5. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

a edelbrock tarantula if your running a BBC will give you that day2 old school look that you want but the rpm range is 4500-8500 . it still will have good street manners but will be a little soft in the lower rpm

like on my sbc i'm after the day2 old school look and have all the old style edelbrock intakes like the scorpion which is the predecessor to the edelbrock victor jr . i also have the TM-1 which is the first design torker intake and that has a rpm level of 3500-7500 and is hard to tell apart from a torker except for the intake runners are laid over

6. pdq67

pdq67 BANNED

Jul 26, 2001
    Columbia, MO, USA
    muscl car said it well by me!!

pdq67

7. muscl car

before the tunnel ram on my sbc i did run the TM-1 and it was really responsive and pulled hard from about 3500 and up and it worked well on the street

just to let you know is that all baldwin motion built sbc motors especially their phase III Z/30 option ran the TM-1 intake and holley 850DP with great results . those motors even though it was back in the early 70's ran deep into the 12's and high 11's with those TM-1 intakes . and like i mentioned earlier the TM-1 was the first design torker that appeared around the late 60's and was replaced by the edelbrock scorpion around late 72 and then around 75 the torker intake was released

edelbrock TM-1

[​IMG]

edelbrock scorpion :
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2007
  8. camaro71/holland

Aug 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Thanks Muscle,

the Scorpion on the pic is the one I was watching on Ebay. But now it's TM-1 all the way!!! Didn't know those were used by BM, thought it was the Scorpion.

What cam (lift, duration @ 0.05) did BM use in the Z/30 engines to match the TM-1/850DP combo? And what heads did they use?

When Googling for Z/30 I find very little info, even on the Supercar Registry Board.

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2007
  9. muscl car

the cam listed in my profile is what baldwin motion put in the Z/30 phase III sbc motors to get 425hp .this camshaft is the irst design gen 1 off-road cam offered by GM back then it makes awesome power

10. pdq67

pdq67 BANNED

Jul 26, 2001
    Columbia, MO, USA
    I gotta say that imho, the Tarantula, then the Scorpion, then the TM-1 and finally the Victor Jr. are NOT Torquer I and II intake's at all b/c thay are ALL high-rpm jobbers whereas the Torquers, both I and II are more for midrange grunt in the RIGHT combination!!

They both will rpm, but NOT up as high as the others, imho...

And if not mistaken, the Torquer II is down-right poorly designed moreso for hood clearance than anything else..!!

pdq67