Semi Trailer For Storage?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Drg racr, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Drg racr

Drg racr Veteran Member

Mar 9, 2000
    Bellevue, MI USA
    I'm curious if anyone has used a semi trailer as a storage unit. I've seen a few being used as such.
    1. Can you control the humidity in them?
    2. Where can I get one to rent or buy?
    3. Are they expensive?
    4. Or would it be better to just rent a space? (I'd need a lot of space).
    I may be moving after Christmas and a lot of my stuff will have to go into storage. Most of my house stuff will go into storage. My car will be coming with me;)
    If it makes a difference, I'd be using it in East Central Indiana (near Richmond, IN).
  2. dcs13

dcs13 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2003
    McKinney,Texas USA
    this is one of the popular rentals...
    I see them on craigslist a lot. Not sure on the humidity issues though.
  3. Kregb

Kregb Veteran Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Erie, CO
    P.S. My 1926 Model T has three pedals one makes it go backward.
  4. Drg racr

Drg racr Veteran Member

Mar 9, 2000
    Bellevue, MI USA
    I checked into Pods, they said they cannot rent to me because I'm not in their service area.
    I looked at Craigslist, I found a few from $1000-$2000. Still cheaper than a shed, though. I'll end up spending around $100 permonth for a 10x15 storage unit, and I'm not certain that'll be enough. I have to fit almost all the contents of my house into it.

MIDNIGHTBLUE Veteran Member

Jul 28, 2000
    Hemet, CA
    Ive drawn up some plans for these "Shipping Containers" I posted my ideas here a few months ago. These containers are piling up by the tens of thousands from China becuase nearly nothing is being shipped back.

One idea I had was 2-20's placed next to each other, welding the center together, cutting out the innerwall and having a 16x20' gargage.

Next was 2-20's placed 30' apart and building a connecting roof between the two and using one for the tools and storage and the other a garage. The space between would be closed off on the back wall and used for the actual work area.

The "Shipping Containers" are 8' wide and 20' or 40' long, interior is 7' (?) ALWAYS inspect and check the container, all of them have hardwood floors and some are so old the are rotten. Also some have rust/rot because of the exposure to sea air/spray

Homes are being build with these, VERY nice examples too.
  6. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

To add to the details of the shipping containers, the heights vary from 96" inside to 110" (high Cube).

Lengths available from 20', 26', 40', 48' & 53' Not all are easy to get like the standard 20' & 40'.
  7. ATM

ATM Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Morris, Illinois
    My company has a storage shed, and the place is entirely made up of these containers. All in a row, different aisles, right next to one another. It works out very well. When I used to work construction, we used one for a mobile shed, kept alot of tools and spare parts in it. Moved it around with a wheel loader and forks. I like them, I would go that route, if you get one with a trailer under it already you could have it moved. Getting one without a trailer may pose a problem moving it with all your stuff in there.
  8. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

there's a place over near the port of long beach off of santa fe ave and alameda and the 405fwy that sells and rents used shipping containers from 20' up to 53' including refrigerated containers
  9. z28rod

z28rod Veteran Member

Apr 30, 2009
    hopewell junction,ny
    how much do the cotainers run
  10. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

back in early 2000 my company purchased (2) 40' containers from that company for $3k