Site changes, help....

Discussion in 'SiteTopic' started by slayer021175666, Oct 3, 2016.

1. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Idaho
    Can't get any search results. Can't see my posts in "new posts". Can't see what forum others posted in. I'm lost, now. I suppose maybe I am not doing something right but, I think the old site was better. I was running it pretty good from day one.

Ghostof76, camaro383 and jimrr like this.
  2. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2016
    sarasota
    It's not you, it sucks. I just posted a reply on a tranny post. Hit new posts button, not only does it not come up at the top, it's gone from the posts/threads all together. If I hit the back button 2 time's the original post is listed! Then hit new posts and it's just plain gone! Ridiculous....this new site is crap...

Ghostof76 likes this.
  3. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

it seems the new post button is really new unread posts. so once you post it isn't unread anymore so it doesn't show up in the new posts anymore.

What does "Can't see what forum others posted in" mean?

The old site wasn't running right. It behaved erratically in every browser. the software was very old and had back end issues as well.

4. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2016
    sarasota
    apparentlu there is a recent posts button to the right that does what the old new posts button did.....

5. Z-Life

Z-Life New Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Florida
    Im new here that is bad to hear, they are using some out of the box solution called XenForo, its forum software...Ive never heard of it and been doing hi end web development for over 15 years, I never use out of the box third party solutions, its like taking your Camaro to a stranger to work on it.

6. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

One less problem! Just a minor change! :)
    RecentPosts.png

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  7. slayer021175666

Feb 29, 2016
    Idaho
    What would be the reason to do that? What is the difference between a new post and a recent post? Why not just change the skin and leave the basic functions the same? Fine. I will click 2 things (new posts then, recent posts) to get to the same result.
    When I said, can't see what others posted in, I shouldn't have said forums. I should have said category. On the old site, when you viewed new posts, now called recent posts, You could see what section it was posted in. I.E. swap meet, engine, interior, etc.

8. slayer021175666

Feb 29, 2016
    Idaho
    Ok. I digress.... A little anyway!
    The "Recent Posts" thing is ok though be it, 2 steps for the action of one. Also, I now see that the category people posted in is still visible. Just in a different spot. (Can't view the old site to tell for sure.) Its just down to the search thing, now. Still can't even find my own posts! Just keeps searching and never shows a result. I did say before however, that I might be doing something wrong.

I love nastyz28! I DO!!! Just concerned that it may be a reach too far in its new suit! :) It worked fine before and we all know that a complicated system is more likely to fail and less pleasing to the eye than a simple system. More moving parts = More chance to fail. Or, in this case, more chance to confuse the hell out of us! HAHAHAHA!
    We'll get used to it, I'm sure. Its probably just a bit of frustration with the learning curve.

My Dad used to say, "Keep it simple, stupid" Whenever he saw me over-thinking something which, I do tend to do. ;)

9. slayer021175666

Feb 29, 2016
    Idaho
    Let's give it some time. We may wind up liking it better if we keep working with it and asking questions about how to use it. I for one, want to stay here with people I know know more than me and keep helping others when I know the answer. Lots of times its just plain fun too! This site is important to us and I'm sure the changes were meant to be for the good of us members. We might just have to explore the new version a bit more to fully understand it. Hell, look at it as you would a new car stereo or something. Its fun to see what all it will do.

10. Maine1

Maine1 Veteran Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Franklin County, Maine
    Not a big fan of the new setup either.... at this point