Spectra EFI fuel tank

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by zedzed, Feb 17, 2012.

1. zedzed

zedzed Veteran Member

I am considering installing the above tank into my '71. I am using an EZ-EFI system that uses the external pump provided in that kit. It works fine if the tank is more than half full, but stumbles from fuel starvation when the tank is less than half filled. It appears the fuel pump provided in the Spectra tank is inadequate for the EZ-EFI system. If so, is there a replacement pump that will work with minimal modifications?

2. david.carlton@s

david.carlton@s Veteran Member

Sep 1, 2009
    CA
    Hello again. I'm not sure if I follow your issue but I noticed this online. Perhaps, it's the tank. Do you have a link to the Spectra Tank? I'm still considering EFI too... waiting for you to work out the bugs!

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...pectra-efi-tanks-prevent-fuel-starvation.html

I was getting Spectre and Spectra mixed up. I see the tanks now.....

I was considering these as a predecessor project to the EFI... not sure if they're worth it or necessary...

http://rickstanks.com/musclecartanks.htm

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  3. Leonards78LT

Leonards78LT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 21, 2001
    Central Oklahoma
    I beleive if you are using a external pump, it must be installed at level or below the bottom of the tank. The pump has to suck the fuel from the tank and is pushed by pressure of the fuel as well, so gravity plays at part in keeping the pump fed. Remember there is no pressure on the suction side of the pump.

4. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Northern VA
    It's not the fuel pump, it's that you're uncovering the pickup in the tank when turning. Gasoline is an incompressible fluid, so if you lose suction even momentarily, you will lose your supply pressure to the injectors.

Fix the tank. A pump may be part of that solution, but the pump is not the root cause of your issue.

5. kboxx

kboxx Veteran Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Bellingham, WA
    I'm using the Spectra tank in a LS2 powered car. It's worked great for me with no problems whatsoever. I would get the tank and try it in your application with the stock Spectra pump if it were me.

6. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    We took out our '78 Camaro project last weekend, no signs of problems fuel
    related. I posted up a thread on the install, I used an EFI Spectra tank for
    an early 70s Camaro. The tank has about 6-8 gallons in it. I can say that it
    did not register the first 2-3 gallons added to the tank. With 5 more it does.

Tom

7. zedzed

zedzed Veteran Member

I have always understood that the fuel starvation is the issue when the fuel level gets below half tank. The Spectra tank has tray built in with an in tank pump. This seems to be the most elegant solution to a minor problem and the tank seems reasonably priced. My main concern is that the pump supplied with the tank might not support the 500 hp engine I have in the car. I was hoping someone might have retrofitted a pump the flows more fuel than the stock pump and is pleased with the result.

8. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Spectra can answer that question. The tech I have spoke to was helpful,
    even though my question wasnt even the standard faire, I need to mod a
    working CA legal EVAP with their old school tank with '94 parts. :confused:

Tom

9. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Northern VA
    LMAO, I totally misunderstood what you were going after there.:)

10. burley

burley Member

Dec 30, 2010
    kansas city
    Hey ZEDZED this whole efi thing has got me spooked. Iam waiting on my heads to arrive then I will begin my install. But Iam concerned about the same thing. I have been lurking and reading as much as I can on this FAST EZ EFI stuff. I guess I will try it with the way it comes and see. I really dont like to run my fuel tank all the way full unless going on a road trip. Please keep us posted on what you do and how you do it. I might even chat with the folks over at Aeromotive, they are here in K.C.