Stereo deack

Discussion in 'Car Audio, Electronics & Security' started by Kwick_Kid, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Kwick_Kid

Kwick_Kid Veteran Member

I was wondering whats the most commen deck that people get for a 1981 camaro?? Do they look good with the newer ones that allow you to play cds?? im a younger kid and like to keep it simple with cds.. whats the best looking cd deck to put in it??

Thanx Mike

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Any of the newer 1-DIN units fit very well AFTER you cut out the hole in the dash. A dremel works well for this.

What color is your dash?
    (Aluminum trimmed bezel or black.)
    Interior color?

Black dash... Keep the stereo black.
    [​IMG]

Aluminum dash.... Go with a silver or grey finish.
    [​IMG]

NOTE: I'm not recommending these decks on anything other than style and color. I like the new units that appear to have retro style knobs.

Check out www.crutchfield.com to see pics of dozens of decks.

3. Kwick_Kid

Kwick_Kid Veteran Member

The Interior is a dark blue original color. i havent bought the car yet but it doesnt have a deck in it and one of the first things ill want is that soo im looking now..

4. captainkirk

captainkirk Member

Feb 27, 2005
    ridgewood, new jersey
    heres what mine looks like in my dash its a pioneer deh-7600mp i think anyway it was easy to cut the dash and it looks pretty good imo the interior is blue and it lights up with blue accents so it looks pretty good

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. hhott71

hhott71 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Joplin Mo. 64801
    Stereos run from gawdy silver to black.
    There are several shades of gray in between.

Select a few you like. Don't over spend.
    Even todays $100-$130 headunits have the features and performance that $300 units had 4 years ago.

6. Kwick_Kid

Kwick_Kid Veteran Member

Thanx alot.. Im thinking id go with the black one.. Ill just have to see when the time comes. Im not 100% sure if the car is coming with the stereo or not.. So ill find out soon and let ya know what i get..

Another Question.. How would i do about drilling it out to fit? Just use a dremal tool or??

Thanx Mike

7. hhott71

hhott71 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Joplin Mo. 64801
    the stereo comes with a sleeve that holds the stereo in the dash.
    remove the sleeve.set it in the radio area and trace around it.
    use a dremel, a hacksaw blade, a rasp and file. just whatever tools you are comfortable with till the sleeve fits the hole.
    bend out the tabs to hold it in place.
    slide the radio in. reach around back and attach a backstrap.

8. Kwick_Kid

Kwick_Kid Veteran Member

Thanx alot.. i couldnt ask for more.. thanx again guys :)

9. Wouldabin

Wouldabin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

What kind of backstrap do you use? A metal strap? Do they sell these or did you just make your own?

10. RS_SS350

RS_SS350 Veteran Member

some decks actually come with the strap, but you can pick one up at radio shack, or make your own...