Super T-10 Leak

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by BB72R-Yes, Aug 16, 2008.

1. BB72R-Yes

BB72R-Yes Veteran Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Waynesburg Kentucky
    Noticed this evening gasket is leaking badly on bottom of side plate. Ughh. Please tell me I don't have to drop tranny to replace. I'm assuming you don't have enough room in tunnel because the forks come out with plate. Correct? Could I split the new gasket at top and install that way? Also do the parts houses carry the gaskets? If not, who does? Dealer parts? Any help or info on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I would think you could do the side plate in the car, maybe lower it in the back. You should be able to get gaskets & shaft seals at your local parts store (at least order). I did mine on the bench, though.

If not that trans comes out easy.

3. hdfatboyz77

hdfatboyz77 New Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Monroe, Mi
    yeah the tranny came out real easy had it out in bout 40 mins

4. JerryL

JerryL Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 12, 2005
    MARYLAND
    Had the same problem with my t-10, and I was able to remove side plate and replace gasket. It's a little tricky getting the shift forks lined back up but have patience and you can do it.

Jerry

5. mnz28

mnz28 Veteran Member

Apr 3, 2004
    wi
  6. cmonson

cmonson Veteran Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2006
    Calgary, Alberta
    I had the same issue, Mine was leaking really bad and I could not locate one fast. I ended up making my own. That was about 3-4 years ago and it doesn't leak a drop.

Yes, these trannies come out easy. I know by the time I get the car up on the front, get tools out, and twist some bolts, I can do it in less that an hour.

7. BB72R-Yes

BB72R-Yes Veteran Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Waynesburg Kentucky
    Finally located the gasket through Napa. Have to buy the kit
    (Part # TS5135-$18.00)and special order as these are not kept in stock at any of the stores I tried. Hope to tackle this coming weekend if part is in.

8. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Yeah, most local places don't carry parts for transmissions not used in 20+ years.

What comes in the kit? I hope the shaft seals do to. You should change those since you'll have the cover off the trans.

Good luck!

9. BB72R-Yes

BB72R-Yes Veteran Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Waynesburg Kentucky
    The kit ended up being $23 and change with special handling fee and did not include shaft seals just the case gaskets, front and rear seals and side plate gasket. The gasket can be changed without dropping crossmember I just had to drop the rods and remove the bolts. Don't remove the bolts on the two shafts that go through the cover to drop the rods if you do your likely to have loose parts flying out. Spring, ballbearings, shift detents,forks etc. don't ask me how i know. lol. The biggest pain was getting the forks back in where they are supposed to go. The space you have is very limited and the angle is akward. You can barely see what your aiming at and the forks want to turn before you can get them where they need to ride. All while trying not to damage your new gasket. One good thing about it, you'll never get the cover on if the forks are not in properly. I'm happy to say my tranny now holds oil.